Apple can make a powerbook g5 easily

OP
S
Reaction score
titan0111 said:
What happens if you drop water cooled G5 powerbook and water leaks to motherboard?

I doubt we will be seeing water cooled G5 powerbook. :flower:
There is no need for a colling system for a g5. The g5 runs at only 24.somthing watts at full ofrce at 2ghz. Thats nothing but for apple its still a litlle much cause they want to have a notebook thats near silent. The fans would be more active in the new powerbook g5 but only by a little. The powerbook g5 is expected anytime this year. June the latest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i agree with what he said too

OP
S
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
i agree with what he said too
Thanks but i just realzied the apple is going to do another speed bump i guess cause q2 isnt until what junish or around their. Umm im a little confused!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Sexyboy said:
There is no need for a colling system for a g5. The g5 runs at only 24.somthing watts at full ofrce at 2ghz. Thats nothing but for apple its still a litlle much cause they want to have a notebook thats near silent. The fans would be more active in the new powerbook g5 but only by a little. The powerbook g5 is expected anytime this year. June the latest.
It doesn't matter how much electricity the processor takes in its how much heat it generates....the G5 is an incredibly hot processor.

They will not release it June they would wait til WWDC July if they are going to announce it and even then they will probably wait til mid august like the did with the original G5 before shipping

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also when the laptop G5 is available it will be the powerbook first and then the iBook. Apple always upgrades the pro line first and then the consumer line (.i.e Powermac, then the iMac).

I keep looking the title of this thread "Apple can make a powerbook g5 easily". If it were so easy to create, wouldn't the G5 powerbook be available already?

I

IChing

The news will be welcomed by Mac notebook enthusiasts, who have anticipated a G5-based PowerBook since the emergence some 12 months ago of the 90nm PowerPC 970FX from IBM. In the end, the 90nm die-shrink, despite IBM's initial claims proved less notebook-friendly than anyone had anticipated. This stopped Apple from rolling out a PowerBook based on the chip, but it refreshed the XServe G5 and updated Power Mac desktops with the new part.

Apple's then director of Power Mac product marketing, Tom Boger, told customers at the G5 desktop launch not to expect a PowerBook G5 "any time soon [and] certainly not before the end of the year".

Has IBM solved the 970FX's heat dissipation problems, possibly with new chip-making techniques, or has Apple figured out how to keep the chip sufficiently cool to operate efficiently in a notebook? A third possibility exists: DigiTimes has written 'G5' when it should have typed 'G4'.

Certainly, Apple wants to move the PowerBook line to the G5 and will do so as soon as possible. But Freescale's upcoming 90nm G4-class MPC7448 chip has been seen as a more likely candidate than the G5 for the next PowerBook and/or iBook revisions.

so does that mean an update of the G4 chip or a move into the G5 is expected? I personally think, its the update not the move.*

OP
S
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
It doesn't matter how much electricity the processor takes in its how much heat it generates....the G5 is an incredibly hot processor.

They will not release it June they would wait til WWDC July if they are going to announce it and even then they will probably wait til mid august like the did with the original G5 before shipping
Thats not true watss have everything to do with heat!!!! Apple even states on their page that their g5 chip is runs cooler due to lower watage I suggest you to reread about the g5 cause it seems u have poor knowledge about it. The only reason why apple delayed the g5 powerbook is becuase There snt enough g5 chips avaliable!

OP
S
Reaction score
rman said:
Also when the laptop G5 is available it will be the powerbook first and then the iBook. Apple always upgrades the pro line first and then the consumer line (.i.e Powermac, then the iMac).

I keep looking the title of this thread "Apple can make a powerbook g5 easily". If it were so easy to create, wouldn't the G5 powerbook be available already?
Well duh the reason simple there isnt enough g5 chips!!!! You think Ibm has over hundereds and thouds of chips for the powerbook, imac and powermax I really dont think Sooo!!! The g5 is centrinaly cool enough to run in any notebook. I dont call 24 watss hot. If you think thats hot then you serisouly need to compare that to pentium 4. I mean if they can put a 100 watt pentium 4 in a notebook I serisouly think they can a 24 watt proccer in a notebook. YES LOWER WATTS MEANS LESS POWER AND LESS HEAT IM ON THE PHONE WITH APPLE AND THATS WHAT THERE TELLING ME! I know what im talking about folks! The G5 is a misconseption just like the atkins diet. Everyone think the atkins diet is eating all the red meat u want and bacon. Not ture Atkins says eat liberal amounts of red meat and eat other meat such as chicken and tofo. Also he strcly bans bacon and sasugae due to trans fatt. This is the same for the g5 everyone think it runss so damm hot will it only blows 24 watts at 2ghz. And thats at full force without any special powertune and stuff like that! So i think everyone in this forum has to ask them to their self's the reasopn wy apple didint introduce powerbook g5 simple not enoguh chips and wants to get every powerbook sold!!!!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
look here is evidence that back me up!!!! Even apple says this at thsi link http://www.apple.com/xserve/ The quote is this "fficiency Pays
And all that power won't heat up your server closet nearly as much as the competition. Even at 2.3 GHz, the advanced G5 processor consumes at most 55W per processor. Compare that to 89W for an Opteron or 110W for a Xeon. The Xserve G5 consumes less power from the wall, you get lower heat output into your data center, reducing its cooling needs. That results in lower HVAC bills, or lets you put more Xserve G5 servers in the same amount of space for the same cost. An added bonus, lower power draws make for longer run-times on UPS systems, if configured." And you may say how come its 55w well it full ofrce at DUAL 2.3ghz. So anyone who says watts has nothing to do with heats has no computer knowelge! Yes there are other key facotars but watss are the most important part!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I'm not going to even bother responding to your posts until you work on your english

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not compare the Xserve to a laptop. Since the size and area of cooling is different. I have not checked, but what is the current wattage on the G4 chip in the current powerbook line. I know my powerbook get hot, and I mean hot at time, when my system is under a load.

So the question still stands. If a G5 laptop can be produced, why aren't any avaliable and please don't use the chip shortage as an excuse?

I

IChing

Please read my post on the ibm chip, the G4-class MPC7448 chip, its an upgrade for the g4 not a new g5 chip, So for once and for all no g5 powerbooks. This is from real news sources not hype.

and look I spelled mpc7448 correctly. wink, wink, nod, nod.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that we will see another round of the G4 processor before we see a G5 processor.

OP
S
Reaction score
rman said:
I would not compare the Xserve to a laptop. Since the size and area of cooling is different. I have not checked, but what is the current wattage on the G4 chip in the current powerbook line. I know my powerbook get hot, and I mean hot at time, when my system is under a load.

So the question still stands. If a G5 laptop can be produced, why aren't any avaliable and please don't use the chip shortage as an excuse?
It is a chip shortage the g5 is kool enogh it runs at only 24 watts. The only reaon why your powerbook is got is becuase the fans never or hardly come on and the alunium acts as a giant heatsink. Really think of this beofre you ask these questions! Why do you think that pc notebooks fans are running more than an apple powerbook well alunium absorbs the heat therefore requires less heat plastic does not absorb heat therefore relies on a more powerful fan. When the g5 powerbook come out sometime in q2 2005 wich is aorund juneish or early july it wouldnt be any hotter than the powerbook g5. The wattage for the g4 is around in the teens its very but extremly slow. The only reason why i am comparing the x-serve to the powerbook is becuase some body said that wattage has nothing to do with heat but he obvialsy dosnet know anything about the g5 becuase its kool enoguh to run in any notebook period. Yes next month their are goign to bum up the powerbook g4 with a 1.67ghz g4 but after that it g5 baby!!!!! Apple already worked with ibm for such a proccer and they had and now they are gogin to incorpaerate it and it coming in q2 its still a while. Its around junish so give it time. Apple is done all that their doing is fixing all the little details and proabbly wating for new battaeries cause the batteries they have in their are horrbible! And they are incorpirating a new design! There is no need for liquid cooling system for the g5 even the g5 dual 2.5ghz! They did that becuase thye want the g5 to be as quite as possible!

OP
S
Reaction score
rman said:

Alos do u honestly think apple has enough g5 powerbooks to go around the whole world heck no!!!! G5 has a chip shortage thats done why idk why dont u go ask ibm why they have ship shortages maybe if you look at apples sales imac g5 are the most popular and the powerbook is going to use the smae chip cause the imac uses a cooler g5 and then one they give it to the powerbook and ibook omg we can see alot of ship shortages and like 1 month back orders! ANd yes the ibook will get the g5 as soon as the powerbook get it!! Its no longer consumer and pro ita bout market share! Apple found out hey if we decrease are price in consumer and make it faster we will sell a lot more and make a profit out of it! Apple will make the ibook g5 1.6ghz and the powerbook above 2ghz. There is still a gap but the consumer can enjoy the g5 and they are making the g5 emac too. You guys have absoultue no knowlege in business. Apple is trying to get pc folks on our side and by making every thing g5 and affortablke is a very very good start. WHy do you think the imac is a g5 and its consumer line. The emac is so getting a g5 its just a matter of months and same with powerbook and ibooks. I think you have to ask your slef if the emac gets a speed bumb and same with the ibooks and the powerbooks go g5 that wont get apple anywhere expcept a boost in their powerbook sales. But if they doo all three then ca-ching here comes apple with rising market share!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well to start, bravo on completely ignoring all grammar and spelling rules. It really shoots from the start your entire argument out of the water before you begin.

I honestly do not believe that a powerbook g5 will be out anytime soon. I wrote a review type thing about a year ago, explaining to people that the G5 powerbook will not be out until at least 2005. It is 2005 and I do not see a Powerbook G5 being release until august-ish at earliest. But I would put all my money on the months before the release of osX.5

The iBook is a different category, its not soon as its PB its gona be iB, itl be a good year to 2years before you see an iBook G5 after the pb.

Now I know were all waiting for the avid G5 Powerbook boy to tear my statement to shreds, but my opinion is not going to be changed until i see more proof, speculation just leads to more senseless speculation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Graphite said:
Well to start, bravo on completely ignoring all grammar and spelling rules. It really shoots from the start your entire argument out of the water before you begin.

I honestly do not believe that a powerbook g5 will be out anytime soon. I wrote a review type thing about a year ago, explaining to people that the G5 powerbook will not be out until at least 2005. It is 2005 and I do not see a Powerbook G5 being release until august-ish at earliest. But I would put all my money on the months before the release of osX.5

The iBook is a different category, its not soon as its PB its gona be iB, itl be a good year to 2years before you see an iBook G5 after the pb.

Now I know were all waiting for the avid G5 Powerbook boy to tear my statement to shreds, but my opinion is not going to be changed until i see more proof, speculation just leads to more senseless speculation.
First of all ur worng! Apple g5 is coming in june the latest! You want evidence the g5 at 2ghz runs at only 24 watts! Thats totally perfect!!! DIGITIMES SAYS G5 powerbook by q2 05 wich seems very relastic cause apple has fallen behind techonolgy on the notebook department. I also strongely disgree that the ibook wont get a g5. I think your completely wrong and you should think about this. Yes apple wants market share and the only way they are going to gain market share is by making their consumer lines comparable or faster to the pc's. There is no way and by no mean that an ibook g4 1.33ghz is comparable to any class centrino!!!! Lets face it apple is overpriced for their crappy notebooks and action has to be taken and thats what apple is doing. Your going to need a g5 1.6ghz to be a comparable to low end centrinos. But that may not be enough!! Apple may be waiting to see what intel is bringin up!! I honselty think that the only way apple is going to win market share is if they wait and build a dual core notebook. Correct me if im worng but by the time Q2 05 get here the g5 will be abosolete by the dual core centrino. If this is true then that explains why apple is talking so long maybe their wating for a cool enough dual core chip to run in the powerbooks and they use a single core g5 chip for the ibooks. That seems very logical!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
I got really nuervous about the dual core centrino as its expected realsedate was around 05 but now i can breathe it has been delayed for a realse of 06. But sill the powerbook g5's are coming!!! YOUR GUYS ARGUMENTS ARE POINTLESS WITHOUT FACTS. HOW IS THIS CHIP TOO HOT???? I DONT CALL 24 WATSS HOT. YES WATTS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HOW CCOOL THE PROCCER IS DUHHHH ANYONE WHO HAS KNOWLEDGE KNOWS THIS!!! Yes there is going to be one more update to the g4 family as it was expected to be an update last year at the end of last year to be excact but it was delayed again. There is not enough g5 chip. If you dont beleiver me will why dont you go call imb up and ask them anout their new g5 chip. It was just recently made like a couple of months ago right when the imac was produced!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your points are truely pointless, you are right you are not making any head way here with anyone. We all know that you can not base any fact on just one source, in your case it is digitimes. You really have no real information on if any G5 laptop exist or not. If you look at Apple history. The PowerBook line will get the next generation chip followed by the consumer line. If Apple was all about the market share, they would have place a G5 in the Mac mini and the eMac . But they choose to continue to use the g4 chip set.

If you choose to continue to debate, please bring some new facts to the table and stop repeating the same old argument, which is not working.

From what was stated he from many individuals, and some of use maybe in the know. You will not see a G5 laptop soon. You have heard from Apple themselves how, much work it was to place a G5 chip in the current iMac line.

The best time here is to take the wait and see attitude. Only time will tell. That is all we have to look for. We can speculate all day, but when it is said and done. We are still waiting to see what comes from Apple next.

The only fact We know for sure is that this week-end we will be able to get our-collective hands on the Mac mini, iLife '05 and iWork.

I

IChing

Digitimes have stated it was a misprint, don't forget to take your meds, calm down, have fun, the world is going to end according to the mayan calendar in 2012, (I have proof) so we have just 7 years left for apple improvements.

"wink, wink, nod,nod".....monty python.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.