Against The Tide: I DIDN'T Get Leopard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I got Leopard, because I've been envying the developer releases at work for some time now :)

I'm actually really surprised: There seem to be far fewer incompatible apps than when I upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4, so it's all good so far.

The only thing I don't like: Spaces is really slow with 2 monitors connected to my Macbook.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess maybe I'm one of the strange ones. I really like the look of the new dock and the menu bar. Have used shapeshifter and it's many available themes pretty much since I got my Mac.

Can understand the view of the dock being distracting if you keep it in view rather than hidden all the time.

And I prefer the dock hidden on the left side of the screen as this is the location where it is least likely for me to accidentally cause it to pop up. But for now, will have to keep it on the bottom. When you put it on the sides it loses it's 3d look.

And the menu bar - for me that's just too cool having it change colors along with the background. I keep my background set to change every 15 minutes, so I'm constantly getting a menu bar with a new fresh look. Like it a lot. Shapeshifter, at least for awhile, will be a thing of the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
There is a way to change the doc to non-transparent:
$ defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

I enjoy the changes in Leopard. Of course a part of me would like them to get away from the grey look, or allow some system wide customizing tool. The side bar, the fonts and icons are very tiny, wish there was a way to increase the size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Okay to start off I have to tell you I'm computer illiterate. So I apologize.

My brother came over with something for my computer and went ahead and installed a new operating system and I don't want it. I was perfectly happy with my old operating system but my brother pretty much took over and installed this thing.

Is there any way at all to go back and re-install my old operating system?

I know it sounds dumb to want to go back to an old operating system but there you have it.

I'm trying to learn about computers. Any advice appreciated.

Just put your Tiger disc in or your restore disc and your all set...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Oh, and I just found out I don't meet the requirements to run it. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Spaces on two monitors on a macbook would obviously be slow due to the nature of the macbook graphics (read: crappy). It's really fast with my iMac though.

Been using leopard thoroughly these past few days, and it's been rock solid. Only thing is Time Machine does not work with iPhoto.

Reaction score
I caved:(

After seeing a demo of the new Spotlight features (boolean searches, quoted/phrase searches) I decided to go ahead and buy a family pack but only install on my MacBook for now. I really only use my MacBook for web surfing these days and I figured I could load Leopard (I'll do a format/install after backing up the few files I have on my MacBook) and get familiar with the new features while I wait for apps such as SuperDuper! to be updated before loading on my Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Explain. By that comment you seem to think that every Mac user has an immediate obligation to install the new OS. How can you blame me for not wanting to rush into the new install? I fail to understand why you think I was DANCING IN MY BARBIE DREAMHOUSE in my first post. You seem to be more GIVE ME SOME TOMATOES at my unwillingness to "upgrade" immediately to the point of threatening me.

I love dancing in my barbie dreamhouse! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
i didnt buy leopard cause i just recently changed from windows to tiger and my mind cant comprehend there being a better os than tiger.

Reaction score
stable?

hey, i know stable, i work with mac and pc simultaneously since the first G3 imac and pentium pcs..

I have never been so sorry to have updated to a newer OS before.
My macbook pro 2.2ghz, runs slower than ever, crashes, and this morning had a system failure, that i had to reinstall everything (almost every app), and customize every little bit of personal twist one puts in his machine.
this is the 3rd time since i bought this machine not even a month ago!
is it just me or leopard just isn't the thing? im going back to 10.4

sorry, im just really mad and specially sad about this.
made a big personal investment, and now mac is just not the thing it was anymore, it just feels like a pc..
me and 6 friends bought macbooks at the same time, 2pro 4reg, the 2 pro +2reg have been in/out of workshop since day one!!
intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spaces on two monitors on a macbook would obviously be slow due to the nature of the macbook graphics (read: crappy). It's really fast with my iMac though.

Been using leopard thoroughly these past few days, and it's been rock solid. Only thing is Time Machine does not work with iPhoto.
It actually seems a lot faster since updating to 10.5.1, so maybe they tweaked something in that department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, i know stable, i work with mac and pc simultaneously since the first G3 imac and pentium pcs..

I have never been so sorry to have updated to a newer OS before.
My macbook pro 2.2ghz, runs slower than ever, crashes, and this morning had a system failure, that i had to reinstall everything (almost every app), and customize every little bit of personal twist one puts in his machine.
this is the 3rd time since i bought this machine not even a month ago!
is it just me or leopard just isn't the thing? im going back to 10.4

sorry, im just really mad and specially sad about this.
made a big personal investment, and now mac is just not the thing it was anymore, it just feels like a pc..
me and 6 friends bought macbooks at the same time, 2pro 4reg, the 2 pro +2reg have been in/out of workshop since day one!!
intel?
Well, like any new OS it's bound to have teething problems.

I tell my less tech-enthusiastic friends and family to hold off from updating until 10.x.1 or 2 is released. By then most of the issues are usually sorted out.

Go back to 10.4 for a while and give Leopard another shot when 10.5.2 rolls around if you're still having issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I didn't upgrade because I'm a poor college student without any money. :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.