Against The Tide: I DIDN'T Get Leopard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thanks heaps baggss!!

Oh and i didnt get it yet cuz i want to do a clean install and i dont finish uni until next week, but after then im going to get it!

You might want to read this though:

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf

Thanks to MHC for the link.

I didn't get Leopard because:

-There is no need for it to exist. My Mac is running fine.
-The Leopard Dock looks like @$$
-Apple has a nasty habit of incompetence these days. They screwed a lot of people with their iTunes, Quicktime, firmware and even OS updates. I don't trust them.
-More bells and whistles than actual usefulness.
-Might as well wait until next year's OS which will floor Leopard.

All of those are very subjective and I could (and do) disagree with all of them.

If your that MACARENA maybe you should just go buy a Dell with Vista and be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
So you disagree that there is no reason for me to install a new OS if my system is currently running just fine? And it is fact that many recent Apple updates have been buggy. I like the Mac, but I am not a fan boy like many around here do. Believe it or not, Apple is not perfect. I'm sure Leopard is far from a mistake, but you can't blame me for not jumping in head first into this.

By the way, Dells don't run Final Cut Pro and I would never buy a pre-built Windows PC. I'd make my own and install XP, not Vista. Oh, wait... I already did that! I use both OS's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you disagree that there is no reason for me to install a new OS if my system is currently running just fine? And it is fact that many recent Apple updates have been buggy. I like the Mac, but I am not a fan boy like many around here do. Believe it or not, Apple is not perfect. I'm sure Leopard is far from a mistake, but you can't blame me for not jumping in head first into this.

By the way, Dells don't run Final Cut Pro and I would never buy a pre-built Windows PC. I'd make my own and install XP, not Vista. Oh, wait... I already did that! I use both OS's.

Yes I do disagree with you and I certainly can blame you, particularly with your poor attitude. I suggest you cool your jets and check your attitude, otherwise you may find yourself in a bit of trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
Yes I do disagree with you and I certainly can blame you
Explain. By that comment you seem to think that every Mac user has an immediate obligation to install the new OS. How can you blame me for not wanting to rush into the new install? I fail to understand why you think I was DANCING IN MY BARBIE DREAMHOUSE in my first post. You seem to be more GIVE ME SOME TOMATOES at my unwillingness to "upgrade" immediately to the point of threatening me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You did say that Leopard did not need to exist.

Also you stated Apple messed up ITunes and Quicktime. I have not had one issue with either so can't understand what you were saying.

No one is saying you HAVE to upgrade to Leopard, but some of your points were a bit damming and I feel wrong. I don't have Leopard by the way. Tiger here on all systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Explain. By that comment you seem to think that every Mac user has an immediate obligation to install the new OS. How can you blame me for not wanting to rush into the new install? I fail to understand why you think I was PO'd in my first post. You seem to be more PO'd at my unwillingness to "upgrade" immediately to the point of threatening me.

It doesn't matter to me if you upgrade. It was your assertion that everything coming from Apple as of late has been crap that got the response. Many of us have had no issues with any of the software you mentioned at all. You can upgrade as you choose but your blanket subjective statements that you seem to feel are "fact" vice "opinion" made you look silly.

Your assumption that anyone who disagreed with you was a "fanboy" (your other term having been edited by the staff) is bound to not be popular in a place like this. Further, your desire to not "rush" into an install is based on information that is of questionable accuracy if not downright ignorance. In the end, you made statements that really have no merit and you made them with an attitude that is not likely to go over to well here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You did say that Leopard did not need to exist.
Correct, but I said that from my point of view. I should have said that there's no reason for me to consider it. That's basically what I was trying to say. As for iTunes and Quicktime, there were tons of interesting issues listed about those updates on MacFixIt and I have seen them do things that were not good on other's computers. I am still on QT 7.1. And the firmware thing on mac Pros was crazy. Suddenly people were complaining about super loud fan noise for a minute after the computer woke up from sleep, then Apple released another firmware update a few weeks later. I am wondering what the deal with that was. My point is that my computer runs fine now, there is no need to change it and potentially make it worse.

Reaction score
I don't want Leopard

Okay to start off I have to tell you I'm computer illiterate. So I apologize.

My brother came over with something for my computer and went ahead and installed a new operating system and I don't want it. I was perfectly happy with my old operating system but my brother pretty much took over and installed this thing.

Is there any way at all to go back and re-install my old operating system?

I know it sounds dumb to want to go back to an old operating system but there you have it.

I'm trying to learn about computers. Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
you should be happy, haha! honestly, i really wouldn't worry about it. the learning curve isn't that much different from whatever mac os you were using before, and as long as everything runs smooth, i wouldn't complain.

this is ESPECIALLY if you want to learn more about computers...because in this land of technology the newest, latest and greatest stuff is typically the most important.

Reaction score
What is better about leopard? I don't get it. I know this is going to sound so girly but first off it's ugly. Second, why is it better? I know I know nothing about computers but I don't see why it's so much better. I was checking on the apple site and I guess the thing is for what I use my computer for my last OS was perfectly fine.

Why do I let my brother install everything on my computer? Woe is me haha. But really you know my brother is a computer person and I'm not (clearly) so I am always left with all these questions trying to figure it out on my own.

Yeah I don't mean for that to sound so whiny. Why is the newest, latest always greatest in technology land? Sometimes things are fine the way they are.....umm I guess that goes against the whole "progress" thing but meh.

I liked tiger!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does Leopard do what you need it to do? If so I would mess with it a bit. It might just grow on you. If after a while it really bothers you for some reason, do you have your Install DVD's that came with your Mac? Which Mac do you own?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
Leopard has all of the features that Tiger has. I'm not sure what you mean by "looks ugly" but all of that is easily customizable for the most part (desktop backgrounds, screen savers etc).

The main advantages to Leopard are features like Spaces, Time Machine, and neat improvements in iChat and Mail. If you consider yourself computer illiterate, you probably will never even notice the difference (although if I were you, I'd mess around with the operating system a little bit, you might be surprised at all the cool stuff you can do).

Don't worry about it. Tiger = Leopard except without some of the new features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
A Leopard upgrader here with absolutely no problems. Had no problems with Tiger either. In fact, Leopard makes my Macbook feel faster. So I guess that must have been something that has made the system "worse," but hey, what do I know right?

Reaction score
I have a PowerBook G4 10.5

Okay I will give Leopard a try and try to learn about it. Yeah it does do everything I want it to do I'm just being silly.

I only mean that it looks ugly in that 3D dock and the fact that the menu bar at the top is translucent. Is there a setting that can change the menu bar at the top so it's not translucent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not a fan of the new dock, either. I really dislike the reflections which would actually detract from my user experience. I don't know if there is a preference for a normal dock or not, but it would be a good idea if there was one. I prefer my dock being locked to the lower left corner of my screen and I'm not sure if this new dock can be made to do so. It might look pretty weird if it was shifted off center. The transparent menu bar doesn't bother me too much, but there definitely should be an option to turn that on or off, or even adjust the transparency level. Options are good, options are great. We need the options! That way everyone can be happy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not a fan of the new dock, either. I really dislike the reflections which would actually detract from my user experience. I don't know if there is a preference for a normal dock or not, but it would be a good idea if there was one. I prefer my dock being locked to the lower left corner of my screen and I'm not sure if this new dock can be made to do so. It might look pretty weird if it was shifted off center. The transparent menu bar doesn't bother me too much, but there definitely should be an option to turn that on or off, or even adjust the transparency level. Options are good, options are great. We need the options! That way everyone can be happy.

There is a terminal command to make the dock look like Tiger.

I also would not mind a Transparency adjustment on the bar either. That way users could have it the way they like it.

http://noobasaurus.com/text/archives/2007/10/revert-leopard-dock-to-non3d-s.html

That URL shows how to make the dock like Tiger and non 3d.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Yeah i hate the dock, I'm just waiting for cleardock to update.

and I wish that there was a transparency adjustment, I prefer more transparent than it is!

:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the dock. I changed it. Now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to change the menu bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
appalling behaviour :(

as punishment, I think you should make you bro put the old OS back on, and then have him set it up to exactly how you had it before. why? to teach him that you do not mess with other people's property without the owners permission ;)

this might help you in your quest for a non annoying non transparent menu bar :)

http://www.manytricks.com/blog/?id=10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.