• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Wish for a Special Child....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
RIDE is handling the $$ he's waiting till we get down to 2-3 tickets and hes going to send all of the info... thanks PB

so we're not paying until after the tickets have been reserved?

edit: i'll take the lunch challenge, and not have quiznos tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
so we're not paying until after the tickets have been reserved?

Correct.... I just wouldn't feel right about holding people's money if it took 2 weeks to sell the last few tickets. I'd much rather have everyone pay at once... then draw the name as soon as the last payment has been made, so that no one has to wait more than a day or two after paying before finding out who won.

On a related note... Here is how I envision the whole thing going... Please tell me if this sounds fair for everyone.

Once I have received the entire $420, I think we should have a Third party do the drawing, on video... Maybe Mathogre, rman, or powerbook (just off the top of my head... no offense intended to anyone not listed)... The video would show everyone's names listed on paper, then dumping all the names in a bowl, then drawing the name for all to see (post it on Youtube).

Then... MacJuicy would send the iPod Touch to the Winner. The winner would post here as soon as he/she received it... at which point I would paypal or wire Macjuicy the $420... MacJuicy would go buy the xbox360 and video the gift giving moment for all to enjoy.

Sound ok???

Reaction score
Is it possible to just mail you the $10 dollars RIDE? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Correct.... I just wouldn't feel right about holding people's money if it took 2 weeks to sell the last few tickets. I'd much rather have everyone pay at once... then draw the name as soon as the last payment has been made, so that no one has to wait more than a day or two after paying before finding out who won.

On a related note... Here is how I envision the whole thing going... Please tell me if this sounds fair for everyone.

Once I have received the entire $420, I think we should have a Third party do the drawing, on video... Maybe Mathogre, rman, or powerbook (just off the top of my head... no offense intended to anyone not listed)... The video would show everyone's names listed on paper, then dumping all the names in a bowl, then drawing the name for all to see (post it on Youtube).

Then... MacJuicy would send the iPod Touch to the Winner. The winner would post here as soon as he/she received it... at which point I would paypal or wire Macjuicy the $420... MacJuicy would go buy the xbox360 and video the gift giving moment for all to enjoy.

Sound ok???
Sounds fine, except I'm not comfortable doing the drawing, even with it being recorded on video. For me, I worry about conflict of interest, real or perceived. There are options, however. Here's one.

Choose a neutral party. This would be a member of M-F who is trustworthy and has not entered the drawing. In this way there is no conflict of interest, real or perceived. To me this is a very good solution and the one I like best.

The geek alternative is that we *could* do it with a simple computer program that everyone can access, run, read, and verify. When we're ready for the drawing, we could use the next day's closing stock prices off of an iPhone (^DJI or AAPL (Dow Jones Industrial or Apple)) to seed the program's random number generator. (I program everything. I just programmed addition and subtraction worksheets for my daughter last weekend.) This would be a simple program to write and run. Still, even this has the potential for perceived conflict of interest, though the membership could scrutinize the program code thoroughly. Anyone uncomfortable with its use could vote it out. If anyone likes this idea, I can give details for it.

That's my thought on it.

Reaction score
Sounds fine, except I'm not comfortable doing the drawing, even with it being recorded on video. For me, I worry about conflict of interest, real or perceived. There are options, however. Here's one.

Choose a neutral party. This would be a member of M-F who is trustworthy and has not entered the drawing. In this way there is no conflict of interest, real or perceived. To me this is a very good solution and the one I like best.

The geek alternative is that we *could* do it with a simple computer program that everyone can access, run, read, and verify. When we're ready for the drawing, we could use the next day's closing stock prices off of an iPhone (^DJI or AAPL (Dow Jones Industrial or Apple)) to seed the program's random number generator. (I program everything. I just programmed addition and subtraction worksheets for my daughter last weekend.) This would be a simple program to write and run. Still, even this has the potential for perceived conflict of interest, though the membership could scrutinize the program code thoroughly. Anyone uncomfortable with its use could vote it out. If anyone likes this idea, I can give details for it.

That's my thought on it.

Excellent idea math! I think someone like schweb or Devilboy.(sorry can't remember the numbers/letters)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

That's my thought on it.

I like the GEEK idea!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first draft of the program is done, and it works. ^_^ If there's really interest in it, I can post it tomorrow night with details on how to run it, read it, and understand it. It's really a simple program.

M

MacHeadCase

Count me in for one tickie too. :)

Conditional to if you deliver to The Great White North if I win, of course. I'll be expecting details on how I pay?

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Awesome thanks Ryan and macheadcase

Ride and Mathogre, the way you want to do things is fine with me... The only thing I dont like is that we are making this all about the raffle... and not John.. I think Collecting the money, Then Video of Drawing, then waiting for the winner to receive prize, then getting john the Xbox doesent seem right to me, I know this is all about a trust issue, But honestly if no one trusts what Im doing then I will find another way.... I feel once we have all the money why should we wait another week over the IPOD winner to then give him the xbox... the entire reason for this thing wasent the IPOD I could sell that here and come up with the money to do it if I really had to, its about doing this for a little boy who is in a rough position in his young life...

If anyone here has any doubt on my sincerity and Honesty please back out now... becuase honestly Im doing this for John and only him....

Thanks all, Please dont take any of what I posted in any bad way.. Its hard to express your feelings in email..

$30.00 Cheesybanana (Mac-Forums)
$30.00 RIDE (Mac-Forums)
$40.00 Mathogre (Mac-Forums)
$20.00 babarnette (Mac-Forums)
$20.00 Aptmunich (Mac-Forums)
$10.00 Netty4mac (Mac-Forums)
$10.00 Nicole T. (my co-worker)
$10.00 Ito M. (my co-worker)
$10.00 Nina R. ( My neighbor)
$20.00 Robert L. (co-worker)
$30.00 Cherokee (Mac-Forums)
$40.00 RMAN (Mac Forums)
$10.00 Mylo (mac-forums) - I wil SHip no worries anywhere in us
$10.00 nokialed (mac Forums)
$10.00 Rolando E. (John's Neighbor)
$10.00 PowerbookG4 (Mac-Forums)
$10.00 Skye (Mac-Forums)
$10.00 ikitten (Mac-Forums)
$10.00 Ryan13 (Mac Forums)
$10.00 MacHeadcase (Mac-Forums)

Goal: $420.00
Total So far: $350.00
$70.00 Left to reach Goal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ride and Mathogre, the way you want to do things is fine with me... The only thing I dont like is that we are making this all about the raffle... and not John.. I think Collecting the money, Then Video of Drawing, then waiting for the winner to receive prize, then getting john the Xbox doesent seem right to me, I know this is all about a trust issue, But honestly if no one trusts what Im doing then I will find another way.... I feel once we have all the money why should we wait another week over the IPOD winner to then give him the xbox... the entire reason for this thing wasent the IPOD I could sell that here and come up with the money to do it if I really had to, its about doing this for a little boy who is in a rough position in his young life...

If anyone here has any doubt on my sincerity and Honesty please back out now... becuase honestly Im doing this for John and only him....

Thanks all, Please dont take any of what I posted in any bad way.. Its hard to express your feelings in email..

Hi macjuicy... First I'd like to say I'm thrilled to be donating money for this cause.. it's really nice. I'm not trying to make it "about the iPod"... I'm just trying to make it go smoothly with all parties protected... including you.

Your reason for having me hold the money was so that everyone felt safe about donating/entering the raffle..right? Well if all I'm doing is getting everyones money, then sending it directly to you before the winner of the iPod receives it.. well... what purpose would I be serving??? Why go through me at all, why not just send all money directly to you in the first place??... Well... It's because I am a 3rd party between you and the donators and I have no vested interest... That is why I don't think you or I should do the drawing ourselves because for you it would be too easy for you to say... well... my Neighbor won... For me, I could just say.. "well looky there, I won"....

I KNOW that neither you nor I would do such a thing, but it's the perceived conflict of interest that I would like to avoid, and I think Mathogre's program that selects a winner with a random number is perfect for all parties involved. I mean NO offense whatsoever... it's just the sad state of the world we live in I guess. I'm just trying to look out for you, me, and everyone on this amazing forum that is willing to donate. If you are anyone else disagree with my stance on this please speak (type) up and explain.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi macjuicy... First I'd like to say I'm thrilled to be donating money for this cause.. it's really nice. I'm not trying to make it "about the iPod"... I'm just trying to make it go smoothly with all parties protected... including you.

Your reason for having me hold the money was so that everyone felt safe about donating/entering the raffle..right? Well if all I'm doing is getting everyones money, then sending it directly to you before the winner of the iPod receives it.. well... what purpose would I be serving??? Why go through me at all, why not just send all money directly to you in the first place??... Well... It's because I am a 3rd party between you and the donators and I have no vested interest... That is why I don't think you or I should do the drawing ourselves because for you it would be too easy for you to say... well... my Neighbor won... For me, I could just say.. "well looky there, I won"....

I KNOW that neither you nor I would do such a thing, but it's the perceived conflict of interest that I would like to avoid, and I think Mathogre's program that selects a winner with a random number is perfect for all parties involved. I mean NO offense whatsoever... it's just the sad state of the world we live in I guess. I'm just trying to look out for you, me, and everyone on this amazing forum that is willing to donate. If you are anyone else disagree with my stance on this please speak (type) up and explain.

Your right sorry had a long night.... I will go with your suggestion 100%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RIDE,

I knew you'd be able to put it into words better than me. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Your right sorry had a long night.... I will go with your suggestion 100%

No, no... no problem at all... what you are doing is simply fantastic. Kudo's to you macjuicy and kudo's to the amazing, helpful and generous members here at Mac-Forums.

RIDE,

I knew you'd be able to put it into words better than me. ^_^

Thank you, but we all know you are about 100 times more articulate and well spoken than I could ever be. ;)

Reaction score
I just rolled $10.00 worth of dimes. I will add that to my donation to make it an even $40.00.

May God bless all of you for your donations. My prayers go out to John for a healthy future and some very strong thumbs. ;D

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just rolled $10.00 worth of dimes. I will add that to my donation to make it an even $40.00.

May God bless all of you for your donations. My prayers go out to John for a healthy future and some very strong thumbs. ;D

Awesome!!! Cherokee

$30.00 RIDE (Mac-Forums)
$40.00 Cherokee (Mac-Forums)
$40.00 RMAN (Mac Forums)
$10.00 Skye (Mac-Forums)

Total So far: $360.00
$60.00 Left to reach Goal

Only 6 Tickets Left!!!

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to purchase the last 6 tickets... but to be honest I dont want to win the drawing, thats why Ive been investing in games and stuff for the Xbox... I would really like one of you to win it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I just sent ride a PM for a ticket =)

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just sent ride a PM for a ticket =)

Awesome!!! XMARLTONX

$30.00 RIDE (Mac-Forums)
$40.00 Cherokee (Mac-Forums)
$40.00 RMAN (Mac Forums)
$10.00 Skye (Mac-Forums)
$10.00 XMARLTONX (Mac-Forums)

Total So far: $370.00
$50.00 Left to reach Goal

Only 5 Tickets Left!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
OK everyone.... Just 5 tickets left!!! Once there is only 4 tickets available I'll post my PayPal Addy here... an EXTRA bonus will be that you'll be able to finally sleep at night knowing what my real name is (it's in my paypal addy) ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.