• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Minor disapproval. Thinks I may be pushing it too fast (possible).

Well she's closer to the situation than me...so I won't necessarily disagree with her. But from the progression I'm seeing in your workouts (from a weekly long run perspective)...doing 7.5 isn't major.

If you were/are doing too much too fast...your body will tell you. Either via extreme fatigue...or an injury.

Every now & then you need a "break-out" workout to make progress...and create some excitement.:) Should you all of a sudden go from 15 miles/week to 30 miles/week...no. And if you've been "good" and not let your HR get too high (if there's a concern in that area).

You'll be fine...as long as you listen to your body.:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks, I told her almost word for word the same thing. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I told her almost word for word the same thing. :D

Was she convinced??;) lol

We (husbands) never win these conversations/arguments!;) Once "the wife" makes up her mind...forgetaboutit!;);)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gwfs.jpg

Just got a super deal on some new running shoes!

I like Nike Pegasus and have run in them for years. Recently a Nike store opened near us. Went to check and found these for 1/2 price.
They're a tad colorful, but who cares. $45 for a brand new pair of Pegasus is fantastic, so I bought 2 pair.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got a super deal on some new running shoes!

I like Nike Pegasus and have run in them for years. Recently a Nike store opened near us. Went to check and found these for 1/2 price.
They're a tad colorful, but who cares. $45 for a brand new pair of Pegasus is fantastic, so I bought 2 pair.

They are pretty "flashy"...congrats on finding something at the Nike Store. Whenever I go to the Nike Store...I find next to nothing running related. Seems like 90% of what is sold at the Nike store is for "want to be" poser-looking folks wanting to look like an NBA player.;)

I recently bought two pairs of running shoes from D*cksSportingGoods website...$49 bucks each.

Congrats on finding them & in your size. $49 is a great price.:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 K in 59:49 today. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 K in 59:49 today. :D

Congrats man! Got 'er done in just under 1 hour!:)

If you're running a 6.2 mile race...you definitely must be upping the miles.

Have fun with those sore muscles!!!;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats man! Got 'er done in just under 1 hour!:)

If you're running a 6.2 mile race...you definitely must be upping the miles.

Have fun with those sore muscles!!!;)

- Nick

Actually just a training run, but at a brisk pace. I ran 5K Thursday little less than race effort in 27:20, so speed is starting to come back finally. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually just a training run, but at a brisk pace.

I see...thought it was a race.:)

I ran 5K Thursday little less than race effort in 27:20, so speed is starting to come back finally. :)

That's a good bit faster than you ran in that 5k race about 6-7 weeks ago! Certainly a nice improvement!:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably will never race a 10K.

When I race I push until it hurts, and 30 minutes is the limit of how long I'm willing to hurt. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Actually just a training run, but at a brisk pace. I ran 5K Thursday little less than race effort in 27:20, so speed is starting to come back finally. :)

Wow keep up the good work.

I haven't been running like I thought I was going to. But I am still working in about 30m of cardio on bike between my weight training sets. Unless I am sick or its raining which makes me sick I normally go to the gym 10 times a week. So that about a hour of cardio a day. Its low intensity though, and I am already feeling a plateau in the workout. Think I would be better to just spend more time on the cable row machine. :|

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

I need to add weights to my routine. Used to keep a set of dumb bells under the desk at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks

I need to add weights to my routine. Used to keep a set of due bells under the desk at work.

Those due bells would be pretty light or heavy depending on the day . . . . Aye ?? Lol

Keep it up mate, i really wish i had your motivation to get up and walk (being the most i could do) and take Elmo Staffy with me :( Im so peed off with myself that i can't do it. I even went out and got some bike shorts, to stop the chaffing and a pair of proper shorts to go over the top, but motivation, which tree can i pull that off ??
Maybe chuck my Camera Backpack on and go . . . . . .

Im not down in that hole (you no what I'm talking about), and I'm happy as can be, with my life and who i have in it, but now i have the weight on, i just can't find that rocket to push me along. I don't know what it is, but its so hard to find. I suppose ill just keep looking :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably will never race a 10K.

Never say never!;)

Remember you don't run a 10K like a 5K. 5K's are almost "pedal to the metal" from start to finish. 10K's you run at about 85-90% of 5K pace...which makes a BIG difference regarding the "hurting/pain".

You still finish exhausted...but the "real pain" doesn't kick-in until about mile 3-4 of the race. So miles 1-3 shouldn't be unacceptably hard. Call it "comfortably hard".;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those due bells would be pretty light or heavy depending on the day . . . . Aye ?? Lol

Keep it up mate, i really wish i had your motivation to get up and walk (being the most i could do) and take Elmo Staffy with me :( Im so peed off with myself that i can't do it. I even went out and got some bike shorts, to stop the chaffing and a pair of proper shorts to go over the top, but motivation, which tree can i pull that off ??
Maybe chuck my Camera Backpack on and go . . . . . .

Im not down in that hole (you no what I'm talking about), and I'm happy as can be, with my life and who i have in it, but now i have the weight on, i just can't find that rocket to push me along. I don't know what it is, but its so hard to find. I suppose ill just keep looking :)
Yep, autocorrect got me . . . and didn't notice as I was on the way to bed.

I'm delighted you're where you are right now . . . though a bit of a walkabout with your camera would probably help with taming the waist line, and it's a good excuse, ;)
Never say never!;)

Remember you don't run a 10K like a 5K. 5K's are almost "pedal to the metal" from start to finish. 10K's you run at about 85-90% of 5K pace...which makes a BIG difference regarding the "hurting/pain".

You still finish exhausted...but the "real pain" doesn't kick-in until about mile 3-4 of the race. So miles 1-3 shouldn't be unacceptably hard. Call it "comfortably hard".;)

- Nick

I tell myself that, but don't usually listen . . . .. :p

Maybe someday.
First things first . . . sub 25 min 5K and then perhaps?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tell myself that, but don't usually listen . . . .. :p

Hey. The positive thing about running a 10k like a 5k is...you either run an AWESOME 10k...or you "blow-up" trying!!!;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey. The positive thing about running a 10k like a 5k is...you either run an AWESOME 10k...or you "blow-up" trying!!!;)

- Nick

Kerbloowie!

Generally between mile 4 and 5 . . . :p

Though, I am a but older now and wear a HR monitor so I can manage my pace off that, so I may be able to do it sometime. We'll see. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though, I am a but older now and wear a HR monitor so I can manage my pace off that, so I may be able to do it sometime. We'll see. :)

Since it's been a while. If you do decide to race a 10k...the first time out is basically a "line in the sand" to beat the 2nd time out.

As you know...a lot about racing is knowing how you feel...your finish times...and adjusting from there. If you finish feeling too strong...you didn't run hard enough. If you finish poorly...went out too fast. Of course there are other factors (healthy on race day, weather, hydration, diet, sleep, etc.).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.