• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Nice! Sounds like that distance is becoming part of the regular schedule.:)

- Nick

I am alternating 3 mile and 5 mile runs . . . so big improvement. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am alternating 3 mile and 5 mile runs . . . so big improvement. :D

Are we talking 3-4 workouts/week? I'm thinking the weather (lower temps) is being a bit more cooperative as well.:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are we talking 3-4 workouts/week? I'm thinking the weather (lower temps) is being a bit more cooperative as well.:)

- Nick

Still have to work my runs around my wife's therapy, but hitting 4 runs a week fairly consistently. Weather and temp is gorgeous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Not an uncommon situation. Lots of guys join the military out of shape...then the military gets them "into shape" (and keeps them there)...then when discharged/retired...the pounds come back! It ain't easy!;)

Congrats on the progress you've made so far...keep it up!:)

- Nick

5.5 miles today.

And, @Exodist: keep up the good work! :)

Thanks guys,
Well I didn't make it 5.5 miles.. BTW grats on that.
But I did make it 1.25 miles without stopping. Slowed down to a fast walk about a dozen times just long enough to catch my breath, then it was back to jogging. Being first time to actually run on something other then a bike or elliptical machine since leaving the navy in 2006. Figure I could have done worse.. LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being first time to actually run on something other then a bike or elliptical machine since leaving the navy in 2006.

YIKES...I was thinking that "leaving the Navy" was a bit more recent!:) But not running since 2006 will be a bit tougher...depending on how much "out of shape" things have gotten since 2006.

I know that if I stop running for just a couple days...I can feel it. A couple weeks DEFINITELY...but 7 years is a whole different thing!;)

The thing with running is...there's no cheating...it's all you! With a bicycle you can switch to an easier gear, coast occasionally, or draft behind someone else. With swimming...you can float (if you know how). But with running...there's no cheating (unless you start walking).;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys,
Well I didn't make it 5.5 miles.. BTW grats on that.
But I did make it 1.25 miles without stopping. Slowed down to a fast walk about a dozen times just long enough to catch my breath, then it was back to jogging. Being first time to actually run on something other then a bike or elliptical machine since leaving the navy in 2006. Figure I could have done worse.. LOL

Good start. :)

Keep it up and you'll be pounding out the miles in no time.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Continuing to improve!

5K in 29:01 and my HR never touched 160 until the final sprint-out. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Continuing to improve!

5K in 29:01 and my HR never touched 160 until the final sprint-out. :)

Nice job!:) Take care with the "competitive spirit"...this is when the injuries can start happening.;)

Unless we're talking about another race. Then you gotta do what ya gotta do!:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice job!:) Take care with the "competitive spirit"...this is when the injuries can start happening.;)

Unless we're talking about another race. Then you gotta do what ya gotta do!:)

- Nick

Competitive spirit definitely an issue, but probably no races until spring. Want to be decently in shape for the next one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Competitive spirit definitely an issue...

I hear ya...I'm the same way!:)

I know you've gotten sidelined before due to injury/dogs. Just don't want that to happen to you again now that you seem to be getting back into a nice routine.:) Need to get those base-miles built-up before pushing it too hard. I would say instead of pushing the pace too much...just add an extra .5 to 1.0 miles to the workout.

If you're like me...it's always nice to finish up many workouts with something positive to reflect on. Sometimes it overall time, pace/mile average, total distance, etc. Sometimes for me (on the days that I'm feeling low motivation to run)...just "Getting er' Done" is the thing to feel good about afterwards (no skipped workouts).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Want to be decently in shape for the next one.

If you're able to keep up the routine. By the Spring you should have shed a bunch of pounds...and there's nothing like weighing less to speed things up.

Just like a car. Same engine + less weight = faster car!!!;);)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're able to keep up the routine. By the Spring you should have shed a bunch of pounds...and there's nothing like weighing less to speed things up.

Just like a car. Same engine + less weight = faster car!!!;);)

- Nick

My wife and I were talking about that. I mentioned handicapping thoroughbreds. Ten extra pounds makes a significant difference and I don't weigh anywhere near what a horse does.

Reaction score
I've added 3 to 5 mile runs to my workout routine. 3 miles usually after my lifting days and 5 miles for my cardio days. What I like to do during my 5 mile runs is add a few sprints in the middle. I'll pick a target around 50 - 100 meters out and do a full sprint. If I see a small hill, I'll sprint up on it. This just makes my run more interesting and variation to my momentum.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Runningahead.com for my training journal.

Finally got around to uploading GPS data from my watch. For the first 9 months of this year I only averaged 5-6 miles per week.
So far for the last four weeks I'm averaging close to 15 miles per week, big improvement.

Honestly, at this stage of my life, don't see increasing my weekly mileage a whole lot. Will probably top out in the 20s per week.
Thirty years ago when I belonged to a running club in Boston, I averaged 70 miles a week at a 6:30 mile pace. Those days are long gone. I will be content to run in the occasional 5K from now on (particularly once I can get my 5K time under 25 minutes). ;P :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Runningahead.com for my training journal.

The online journals/trackers can be fun and motivating (if you compare yourself to others on the site)...or you complete against yourself from week to week, month to month, etc. But I found myself getting lazy about keeping the journal updated.

I basically download my Garmin watch data to the Garmin app. on the HD...then I update my Excel spreadsheet with my daily workout mileages to track the number of miles on my running shoes...to help me know when the mileage is getting high...and I need to purchase & switch to new shoes.

Of course these two methods don't do as much as the online journals...since they will do a lot of additional calculations for you...like average paces, fastest pace, most miles, etc.

Finally got around to uploading GPS data from my watch. For the first 9 months of this year I only averaged 5-6 miles per week.
So far for the last four weeks I'm averaging close to 15 miles per week, big improvement.

Very nice. With what you've been running lately...I'm betting that average weekly mileage may creep upwards a bit!:)

Honestly, at this stage of my life, don't see increasing my weekly mileage a whole lot. Will probably top out in the 20s per week.

Different folks...different goals.:) 10 years from now when I'm closer to your current age...I expect to be doing the same amount of miles as I am now. Probably slower (hopefully not too much).

Of course all of this depends on the wheels no falling off the wagon!;)

-Nick

p.s. I had a pretty good workout yesterday...hopefully a good one today as well.

Although I feel a cold coming on (which I hope to kick it's butt). I ran a shortened workout in 39°F temps on Thursday during a sleet storm (10 miles...wanted to do 12). I got home completely soaked to the bone...and very very cold (nothing worse that being soaked to the bone & chilled). I'm talking just a long sleeved t-shirt, shorts, hat, and gloves)...which is what I normally wear in those temps.

It was dry/cloudy when I started. I got stuck in the storm while out on the route. Stuff happens!;)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ran 7.5 miles today; HR was stable and generally under 140 for most of my run. I'm very encouraged by the progress. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yikes man...way to go!!!:) What was the inspiration?

Tomorrow you may rediscover some "sore" muscles you forgot you had!;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
. . . Tomorrow you may rediscover some "sore" muscles you forgot you had!;)

- Nick

I've already found them . . . :p

Inspiration was I still felt strong at 5 miles so decided to go another lap.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've already found them . . . :p

Ha ha!;)

Inspiration was I still felt strong at 5 miles so decided to go another lap.

Congrats again. Those longer runs always make the shorter runs seem "shorter" (both physically & mentally):)

- Nick

p.s. I hate to ask...but what did the wife say when you told her?

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha!;)

Congrats again. Those longer runs always make the shorter runs seem "shorter" (both physically & mentally):)

- Nick

p.s. I hate to ask...but what did the wife say when you told her?

Minor disapproval. Thinks I may be pushing it too fast (possible).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.