• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I thought the Slovaks had it in them but I guess not. It was a good try though...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They definitely had the talent. I think it's fair to say that they were the most underrated team in the tournament. Like you said though baggss, I guess they just didn't have it in them for the bronze medal game. I was cheering for them - a team that can beat so many good teams (or at least keep it close) deserves a medal.

I don't think I've seen a piece of Olympic related news this morning that hasn't at least mentioned the gold medal game today. It's going to be a very exciting day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What...a...game. That was easily one of the best games I have seen in a long time (and I'm not just saying this because we won). Both teams played well and I think I was on the edge of my seat for the entire third period. I have a new level of respect for Ryan Miller and the American hockey program. You have a very bright future. No longer will international hockey be considered a three team tournament (Russia, Canada and Sweden).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
who better to score the winning goal in the gold medal game than hockey's own golden child Sidney Crosby. I was transiting from Ft. Worth to Dallas after visiting family and missed it. I am sure this will be all the talk tonight and tomorrow on the news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
A-MAAAAZING!!!

Canada got the most gold medals by a host country in the history of the Winter Olympics!!

Hockey IS our sport!!

Great effort by the US, though - truly a formidable opponent!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
SOOO PISS3D USA DIDN'Y BEAT CANADA IN HOCKEY!!!!!! we smoked them first game then in the gold medal we came back w. 24 sec left in the 3rd to tie it up then they got us in OVERTIME!!!!!!!! sick game though, there was a lot of very very good hockey games in the 2010 winter olympics!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
One heck of a game. When that last US goal was scored I suspect the entire country of canada soiled it's collective pants, then did it again about 20 min later when they won. Great game by both sides and it was an even match right up to the end. I would have been happier if the winning goal had come from someone other than Crosby (just not a fan, guess why) but I'm thrilled that the Canuks finally won a gold at home!

Fun statistic: The US and Canada ended up with the same records in the end. They both only lost once, to each-other.

Now for the push to the playoffs...

GO RED WINGS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The closing ceremony had Michael Buble in it. About time. Woot. The best reason to watch the whole closing ceremony. And I'll watch it again just for that. Man that dude is a star.

[edit] Just a thought but for the closing ceremony of the next Olympics the London ones. They so need to have the Pet Shop Boys. I'm half tempted to write a letter asking for this.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have been happier if the winning goal had come from someone other than Crosby (just not a fan, guess why) but I'm thrilled that the Canuks finally won a gold at home!
On most occasions, many people wouldn't want Crosby to be the hero (it seems to be the case that you either like him or you really don't) but I don't think there is a soul in this country who doesn't like him right now...until the NHL season starts up again.

Again, the American hockey program has a bright future. If you keep this level of development up (the world juniors are a good indicator of what's coming), you could easily be favoured to win gold in Sochi. As this article states, "Our game. Well, it isn't our game any longer, though Canada can proudly assert it is number one in the world for the next four years. But as we all know and this tournament drove home that point with how close the competition was, especially the Americans, that the game is being shared."

In the meantime, let's all cheer for Pittsburgh to repeat as cup champions! I'm sure we can agree on that can't we? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.