Mac stability myth

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure about that? OS X always asks me that when Photoshop, Firefox, Dreamweaver, Cyberduck and whatever else has crashed. And what in the world is this alphanumeric code you're talking about?

Yeah, he is talking about the key when you are installing. That OSX does not ask for. Some other Apple Applications do though.

What I hate more than anything is activation if I change 2-3 pieces of hardware while upgrading. It's not that hard to do but annoying talking to them and reading then typing all those numbers.

The Key while installing does not bother me, but I am glad OSX so far does not ask for one.

Reaction score
I dont understand why everyone is trying to defend OS X so much. If he dosnt like it, and is having problems with it, then he can go to something else. Oh well. They are different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. XP is actually a fine OS, and yes, even Vista isnt quite as horrible as it is cool to bash on it. I just dont understand why others feel the need to defend Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I dont understand why everyone is trying to defend OS X so much. If he dosnt like it, and is having problems with it, then he can go to something else. Oh well. They are different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. XP is actually a fine OS, and yes, even Vista isnt quite as horrible as it is cool to bash on it. I just dont understand why others feel the need to defend Apple.
Interesting. I haven't really seen a lot of OS X defending.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I even told the OP to try a Dell or Alienware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Anyone notice we are two pages and a week into this thread and the OP has not responded? I smell a troll. My first clue was the use of the word MAC in the subject line of the OP.

Don't feed the trolls.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm still here

To clarify my position on this stbility matter a bit, although I don't Love my Mac, I don't hate it either.

Now I'm an experimenter. I want to know more about the system. How is it organized, what am I missing that's not obvious on the graphical interface etc. So I try things that mainstream grandmother type users wouldn't know enough to attempt. Perhaps that's the main reason why I have gotten into trouble. But I have also been lead to believe OS X and its UNIX underpin is so well conceived that it recovers gracefully from errant upsets. So I was surprised at the frequency of 'panic attacks', unrecoverable hangups and miscellaneous glitches.

I don't think it's defective because my MacBook Pro runs the mainstream applications effectively with only minor issues; even FireFox . I'll accept that poorly written applications will crash (I used to write Windows applications). My issue with the stability of OS X is the frequency of crashes of the entire operating system requiring me to lean on the power button and reboot the machine. That's the kind of thing that used to be prevalent with Windows machines.

I'm not wanting to be a 'switcher' but am more oriented towards being a dual user. I won't touch Dell with the proverbial ten foot pole and know nothing about Alienware. I'm more oriented towards Lenovo for PC laptops and self builds for PC desktops.

Sorry if the comment that started all of this seemed too emotional. I don't get emotional about things technical except for when they don't deliver in accordance with hype.

--- CHAS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
OS X defending? And here on a Mac forum? Gods no! Would not have expected to find any of that at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
A' la a friend of mine that was also published in Computer Arts Magazine.

Interesting quotes, containing not a single piece of actual data or testing beyond subjective observation. The one place he references an actual test (benchmarks between Mac and PC) he gives no actual results and no info on the compared hardware setups.

Published in Computer Art's Mag? Maybe with a comic strip.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OS X defending? And here on a Mac forum? Gods no! Would not have expected to find any of that at all.

There's no need to defend OS X. It is a proven, reliable workhorse of an OS. One user's opinion of his particular machine doesn't change that. If it weren't reliable, it wouldn't have been received UNIX certification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Interesting quotes, containing not a single piece of actual data or testing beyond subjective observation. The one place he references an actual test (benchmarks between Mac and PC) he gives no actual results and no info on the compared hardware setups.

Published in Computer Art's Mag? Maybe with a comic strip.

No, he and I were published in Computer Arts for our work. He's an artist and did that in his blog. Read it clearly? He says it's opinion, and the very last paragraph he restates that it's his opinion again and knows that it won't put anything to rest, as you've just proven. I can agree with a lot of what he says since I've experienced all three OS's and see it as a tool rather than a lifestyle unlike a lot of people on both sides.

www.iso50.com is his page. Is there a problem in any of what he said that you want to challenge?

Reaction score
There's no need to defend OS X. It is a proven, reliable workhorse of an OS. One user's opinion of his particular machine doesn't change that. If it weren't reliable, it wouldn't have been received UNIX certification.

My point exactly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No, he and I were published in Computer Arts for our work. He's an artist and did that in his blog. Read it clearly? He says it's opinion, and the very last paragraph he restates that it's his opinion again and knows that it won't put anything to rest, as you've just proven. I can agree with a lot of what he says since I've experienced all three OS's and see it as a tool rather than a lifestyle unlike a lot of people on both sides.

www.iso50.com is his page. Is there a problem in any of what he said that you want to challenge?

I don't know if anyone has a problem with what he said, so much as there's a lack of understanding as to what the point was in posting it. It seems you were using that to support your statement that Windows and OS X are "pretty much the same", though how I can't for the life of me see how it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Every time I see a forum comment about the Windows Blue Screen of Death, someone jumps in proclaiming 'Get a Mac'. Well I have a PowerBook Pro (Fully patched Leopard) that I'm struggling to learn. In the past few weeks I have seen more irritating hard lockups than I have witnessed on all three of my XP machines in the last two years.

Now I freely admit I don't know always know what I'm doing but if this machine is really as stable as the zealots claim, there shouldn't be too many ways I can break it. I mean that spinning pinwheel that prevents me from reaching the Force Quit menu is every bit as maddening as the infamous Windows blue screen.

I don't 'Love my Mac'.

--- CHAS

People report their experiences, whether they are a "zealot" (I find the term offensive, personally) or not. I've never had a moments trouble with my 1st gen. Intel iMac, and my Leopard install went flawlessly. Others report problems to one degree or another.

I would say you have a software or hardware problem if your Mac is unstable as you claim, but either way, using your own experiences to judge the entire platform is pretty dumb.

It all comes down to this, and this is something almost everybody hates to realize. The two operating systems are pretty much the same.

Believing this to be true on anything more than a superficial level indicates a fundamental lack of understanding. That might be something you hate to realise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Believing this to be true on anything more than a superficial level indicates a fundamental lack of understanding. That might be something you hate to realise.

If you read later, you should see that a person who recently began to use a mac said it's pretty much the same experience. And I agree. A lot of graphic artists and other creatives I know (save for movie editors) work seamlessly on both Windows and Mac and some of the most successful and talented still exclusive to Windows. I agree because my habits haven't really changed. What many do on a mac is the same as many would do on a Windows machine because it's the same kind of user input doing the same tasks. So far, nearly everything I can do in Windows I can also do with the Mac except for their exclusive software that usually accomplishes the same thing anyway. It's still generalized that the mac is known more of a workstation for creative professionals and Windows is the gamer and business machine. Both are warranted for such a label.

So yes, as a cross platformer that uses both for hobby, casual use, and professional use, I still say that the experience is the same. People who complain about getting viruses are still those who, from what I've seen, doesn't know how to take care of their computer well by visiting iffy sites and accepting a LOT of things to go into the computer. The mac, and laugh at this if you will, still relies on obscurity and not being much of a target. But it's very easy to hack without effort and all it takes is the same kind of person that gets those viruses on a Windows machine because that's generally how Windows gets its spyware and malware. I can back this up with writings rather than anecdotal evidence if you really want. The mac crashes just as frequently with me (actually more than my XP and Vista machine combined, but still) because I'm using a lot of software. Enough of that, "It just works." It doesn't, but it does seem that way a lot of times.

So are both sides done trying to stereotype/bash the other? Not yet. Both sides will have their zealots and arrogant users and both I detest. An operating system shouldn't be a lifestyle but many will fight life and limb for it and say that they're perfectly normal or it's warranted. I cringe whenever I see anybody on this forum bash Windows just as much as whenever I see someone bashes a mac and I go to boards that are on both territories. I will say, this, at least. Microsoft (the company and their ex-CEO) knows how to laugh at themselves more than Apple does. If we want to really talk about different experience and interaction, I'm willing to talk about Playstation vs. Wii.

[edit]Nice avatar. Can't wait for episode 6.

Reaction score
i believe that what people discern as 'stable' or 'unstable' is based on their personal experience with it. for example, i would say according to my experience that Leopard is moderately stable. someone else might say that Leopard is the most unstable crap they ever used. user experience. as for the true stability of the OS, one must study OS kernel theory and such. if you look at NT and UNIX and compare their core components, you can see that the algorithms used in UNIX in THEORY work better that ones used in Windows. even developers that develop these operating systems have personal opinion and experienc. The developer's opinion is implemented in the OS, which is passed on to the end user. the end user will discern his/her own personal experience based on the UI and obvious abstractions reflecting the components based of the developer's personal experience and opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
OS X and Windows are the same because much of their user experience is similar as it relates to how you use a mouse and keyboard and navigate programs?

By this logic a airplane and a car are much the same because you use a wheel or yoke and peddles in both.

You completely ignore the fact that there is more to each OS then their superficial exterior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X and Windows are the same because much of their user experience is similar as it relates to how you use a mouse and keyboard and navigate programs?

By this logic a airplane and a car are much the same because you use a wheel or yoke and peddles in both.

You completely ignore the fact that there is more to each OS then their superficial exterior.

That analogy has so many gaping holes in it that I think it put goatse to shame. Actually, a better analogy would be a Ferrari and an SUV.

[edit]Or looking back on it, maybe a Toyota vs. a Pontiac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 | G4 Intel iMac | ipod
Anyone got a clue to this

anyone have this problem: applications in your apps folder dissappearing? not sure if i was hacked or infected...it only left 4 programs in folder (safari, firefox, itunes & windows media player--of which only safari is launchable) i couldnt even update the system as the Utilities folder is missing...WTFrell!

if anyone has clues...clue me in.

thanks
:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The mac, and laugh at this if you will, still relies on obscurity and not being much of a target. But it's very easy to hack without effort and all it takes is the same kind of person that gets those viruses on a Windows machine because that's generally how Windows gets its spyware and malware. I can back this up with writings rather than anecdotal evidence if you really want.

I can contradict that also with writings and anecdotal evidence also. While I wouldn't ever go so far to call OS X "bulletproof", the fact is it's a more secure operating system. This whole "obscurity" argument is really weak. OS X is increasingly less obscure, yet there continues to be a lack of real-world threats to it. And just to blow another hole in the whole "obscurity" argument, I'd like to point out that the Classic Mac OS and Linux each has a moderate number of viruses that are known to affect them, and they have far less market share than OS X does now. So why the disparity? Besides that, if OS X was just as vulnerable as Windows is, then wouldn't you think SOMEONE would step up to the plate and write/distribute the first virus (or the second trojan) JUST to prove it can be done, not to mention for ego's sake?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.