Zoom access to files and folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Call me paranoid, but just because i am paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following me ;)
I am getting a message from Zoom that they want me to" allow access to files and folders" in the sys prefs and my spidey sense starts tingling. Does this give them access to everything or is it restricted to just Zoom stuff needed to do what i need done?

I get this question with programs and i always say no.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You will have to read the Zoom policies and how they deal with accessing your data. I "believe" it will only be the data you use with Zoom, but some app developers have taken advantage of users. You may want to turn this option off, when not being used (in Settings > Privacy & Security).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I use Zoom a fair amount though Microsoft Teams even more frequently.

I do not permit "Full Disk Access" to either of them

And they both function perfectly well.

My needs are simple, I suppose; but if you were using Zoom (or others) to share data either remotely or as part of a group meeting then you might have to allow greater access for obvious reasons.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you intend to record Zoom meetings, you'll need to give it access to the files and folders so that it can save the recordings locally. If you don't give it access, you can't save recordings locally but you can save it in the cloud.

That's the only reason that it needs access to files & folders.

The other permissions are screen recordings to be able to screen share and of course access to camera/microphone.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The admin of the Zoom site usually has to give permission for for screen recording in the app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.