Your opinion. RAM. Whats decent, enough?

Reaction score
FB-DIMMs 667 MHz, ECC (Error Correcting) Fully Buffered is required.
Ordinary DDR2 DIMMs will NOT work - do not confuse these with DDR2-667 MHz / PC2-5400 RAM.

Not correct that the Crucial is the only RAM that meets the heat requirements. Barefeats.com did a test of OWC, TransInternational and Data Memory Systems RAM and they all were well below (like, half of) the temperature limits under stress testing. All were equal to or better than Apple's stock RAM. And some of them were considerably less money than Apple or Crucial

yes no maybe?
Definitely No.

NewEgg - are you serious? This is the company that doesn't guarantee compatibility on anything, and charges customers restocking charges 2x as often as the industry average (source, PCWorld customer satisfaction survey) You want PC generic, fine, but personally I would not touch NewEgg for Mac memory. Note: The FB-DIMMs that NewEgg lists are the ones that Crucial and Kingston withdrew from the MacPro market...

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
thx, i got this info a while ago, so I did't know that other companies also make the correct type of RAM. btw do you have the barefeats comparison test?

Reaction score
mr g5 said:
thx, i got this info a while ago, so I did't know that other companies also make the correct type of RAM. btw do you have the barefeats comparison test?
--Linked from my post
Barefeats.com http://www.barefeats.com/quad09.html

To clarify a bit further -- there isn't a correct type, per se. The RAM needs to move the heat off the chips, especially the buffer, and into the airflow. This can be done with a U or W shaped heatsink, a ribbed heatsink, or an extra-thick flat metal heatsink. It's apparent that the standard thin pressed-aluminum heatspreader is not enough. All three designs of the tested RAM did well.

There is a company selling an aftermarket ribbed heatsink - which is well and good, but the RAM's warranty will be voided as soon as you remove the factory heatsink, so what you gain on the swing you lose on the roundabout.

For the earlier OT poster: Powerbooks do not need, nor will they benefit from, matched RAM. Dual Channel RAM capability was introduced to the notebook line with the intel MacBook / MacBook Pro

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Proc 2.6GHz
What about 3GB? Any problems with installing (2) 1GB sticks along with the (2) 512's?

I haven't had any problems with Newegg charging a restock fee. I had to send a motherboard back and they took it back and even refunded my cost to ship it back. ZipZoomFly charged me for sending unopend Ram back though.

OP
C

CT2

Is it too late to ask, so it's better to instlal 4 FB-DIMMs? Do I need to set sth else after install the ram?

I have the original 2 512 ram which came with Mac Pro, so i better add 2 of 512 or 2 of 1GB only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
So to get quad channel working, Where do you install the next two sticks at? There are 8 slots there in two 4 slot cards. I know from past PC builds that location is important in that regard.

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
I would suggest 4allmemory.com, they had the best priced memory for my Mac Pro and they got it here the very next day with no extra charge on shipping....

Reaction score
I don't use a Mac Pro, but I recently outfitted one on my staff with one...

We bought the RAM from Ramjet.com ... The experience was fine and saved us about a grand. The Apple Store wanted 2700 to UPGRADE to 8GB (4x2GB); here's a link for 17ish

http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MP8G

We saved a bundle!!! Usually I just pay for it to spare me the trouble; it was fairly easy to install (w/ instructions of course), saved us 1 grand, AND we were able to sell the 2 512MB for $100/each.

Ramjet can count on my repeat business...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.