Yosemite :(

Reaction score
Made the mistake of putting Yosemite onto my iMac yesterday.

Just opening stuff takes for ages zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Is an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz ok for the software update??

All my purchases of software over the last two years or more are asking for passwords , Keys etc and everyone of them says all the stuff I enter is wrong FFS !!!!!!!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can always revert back to Mavericks or whatever you were running before. Hopefully you made a full backup prior to installing Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would check activity monitor first .... maybe spotlight is stil indexing all your files.
Check for processes called md_worker and mds_stores and mds.
If they are eating your CPU cycles, wait for them to finish and then see if your system becomes more responsive.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If your iMac is slow, how about letting us know how much memory is installed? For what it is worth, many of us think without 8GB as a minimum, leave it at Mountain Lion.

Without more information hard to assist as there are several 2.66GHz model iMacs in 2008/2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have 4 gigs of ram on my '09 MBP and Yosemite runs just as zippy as Mountain Lion and Mavericks ever did.

C

chas_m

I have 4 gigs of ram on my '09 MBP and Yosemite runs just as zippy as Mountain Lion and Mavericks ever did.

Zippy is relative. Put 8GB in there and note the dramatic improvement. Put an SSDS or hybrid drive in and you'll see even more "spring in its step." :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Zippy is relative. Put 8GB in there and note the dramatic improvement. Put an SSDS or hybrid drive in and you'll see even more "spring in its step." :)
I realize this. What I was trying to say is that running Yosemite hasn't slowed my laptop down any. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Yosemite

Made the mistake of putting Yosemite onto my iMac yesterday.

Just opening stuff takes for ages zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Is an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz ok for the software update??

All my purchases of software over the last two years or more are asking for passwords , Keys etc and everyone of them says all the stuff I enter is wrong FFS !!!!!!!!!!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
Processor- 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
500 GB SSD drive
I am experiencing the same problems along with safari not working and I cannot connect to the App store. Fire fox takes 2 to 3 minutes to start. Not happy at all but I'll wait for a while before I revert back to mavericks to see if the bugs get worked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
You can always revert back to Mavericks or whatever you were running before. Hopefully you made a full backup prior to installing Yosemite?

LOL yea thats what I done.. Got TM turned off until I am %200 sure nothings broken..

Knock On Wood here.. Mine seems perfectly fine at the moment. I have been running benchmarks to stress the system and trying to stress load each program as I play around with it. But time will tell..

<-- My system specs..

C

chas_m

I am experiencing the same problems along with safari not working and I cannot connect to the App store. Fire fox takes 2 to 3 minutes to start. Not happy at all but I'll wait for a while before I revert back to mavericks to see if the bugs get worked out.

This isn't about Yosemite. What you're seeing is not normal, and sounds like a corrupted install. I and many others here have been using Yosemite in beta form for months and have not seen these issues.

I'm not saying you're imagining it or anything, just saying that the source of the issue isn't "a bug in Yosemite."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On this I have to agree with Chas. There is something else wrong. Either a bad install or some hardware issues. Did you UPGRADE or Fresh Install? If Upgrade maybe it's something brought over from your old Config!

I have Yosemite running on my C2d 2.4Ghz iMac with 6GB RAM and to me it feels smoother and faster than Mavericks did on the same machine. I have had none of your other issues either with it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're noticing a slowdown, it could also be because you did an upgrade and not a fresh install (if you did a fresh install, ignore this). OS X upgrades old installs easily but, in my experience, upgraded installs have always been noticeably more sluggish than a fresh install.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you're noticing a slowdown, it could also be because you did an upgrade and not a fresh install (if you did a fresh install, ignore this). OS X upgrades old installs easily but, in my experience, upgraded installs have always been noticeably more sluggish than a fresh install.

Agree 100%. Seen it myself also. I have both a Fresh install of Yosemite and a Upgrade to Mavericks. The fresh install is noticeably snappier.

Reaction score
Running Yos. on a 2.4GHz core 2 duo MBP with only 4Gb of RAM. Install took much longer than iMac and retina MBP but it loaded fine ( One download ported to all three machines ) Running OK on the old MBP Don't think it's any slower ( may be a bit faster) but no problems to date . Safari is fine. Conventional upgrade not clean install

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
If your iMac is slow, how about letting us know how much memory is installed? For what it is worth, many of us think without 8GB as a minimum, leave it at Mountain Lion.

Without more information hard to assist as there are several 2.66GHz model iMacs in 2008/2010.

Yes 4 GB Ram, yes purchased in 2009

thanks for all the info people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

IMHO the last few operting systems have all worked much, much better on notebooks with a clean install rather than the upgrade route.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh most definitely. A clean install is always the best route to go. An upgrade will do in a pinch but if you have a few spare hours to set everything up again, it's the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Anyone else have instant start up to the logon screen and underneath it a weird progress bar? No problems, but thought it a bit odd. Also, the entire screen is a faded gray color.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
At my bootup, I get a black screen with a white Apple with a progress bar underneath. As soon as the bar fills then the screen fades into the login screen. It may take a tiniest bit longer to boot than Mavericks but it just may be me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.