Yosemite vs CS2

Reaction score
In my iMac 27, I was happily working with my CS2 under Snow Leopard. Along came Mavericks, free, and I was persuaded to upgrade. Surprise! surprise! ugly surprise! My CS2 would no longer work, no longer supported.

A visit to my local Apple Store confirmed this and to my astonishment, they simply suggested I buy the latest version of Adobe's Creative Suite. Wow! Not that simple!

Now, Yosemite comes out and I'm receiving automatic invites from Apple to upgrade, FREE!

Big question..... Does Yosemiti continue to not support CS2?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with CS2, does everything I need; I don't need to upgrade to latest version of CS.

Yosemite Upgrade, or stick with Snow Leopard? Thoughts of others?

Regards,

Terry

M

MacInWin

It's not that Apple doesn't support CS2. It is that Apple no longer supports Rosetta, which was required to run PowerPC applications on the Intel Macs. When Apple retired Rosetta, all of the apps that needed Rosetta to run were no longer functional. So, if you need CS2 (which is ancient) and are not concerned about the fading support for Snow Leopard and CS2, then stick with it. But if you want or need to use more modern applications, you're going to have to move a little further into the 21st century.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Building on what "MacInWin" mentioned. CS2 is NOT compatible with:

- OS 10.7 Lion
- OS 10.8 Mountain Lion
- OS 10.9 Mavericks
- OS 10.10 Yosemite

Exactly as MacInWin mentioned. CS2 was written for PPC hardware based Apple Computers (before the Intel computers were introduced). As a "transition OS"...OS 10.6 Snow Leopard included an app called "Rosetta"…which allowed older PPC apps to run on Intel based Apple computers.

With 10.7 and later…no more Rosetta. Folks running older PPC apps were supposed to upgrade their apps if they wanted to run an OS newer than 10.6 Snow Leopard. This is why Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) was a "transition OS".

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since 10.6 Snow Leopard. Don't blame Apple. Got to keep up with current events (or old events…since Snow Leopard & all this info came out August 2009). That's FIVE+ years ago!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.