Yosemite Update

Reaction score
I've updated my MacBook Pro from Maverick to Yosemite and has been running for about 2 weeks now. I had absolutely not a single problem with the update. At a point far into the update the update froze but I was able to restart my MacBook and restart the update no problems. It picked up where it left off and completed fine. The performance has been great. I also run VMWare on this MacBook for testing purposes. That updated and is running with no problems. Love the new features and look. I have had but 1 problem. I have a Western Digital DX4000 NAS that I've had installed for over a year. After the update to Yosemite my ability to connect to this NAS has been compromised. I talked to WD support. They confirmed the update as my problem and the kicker is: They have no upgrade plan in place to support running this NAS on this version of OS/X. Quite disconcerting. Apple's great. Can't speak to highly about WD.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

How are you connecting to the NAS? I have a Netgear ReadyNAS that I've had for many years and have used it with my Mac running Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and now Yosemite without any issue..

I use SMB right now to connect to the NAS and it works fine. I've also tried NFS/AFP and they also work fine.

My wife uses her Windows laptop to connect and its been working fine.

Nothing in the Yosemite update should break things that were working in your Mavericks system, at least when it comes to communicating with the NAS through any of the available/known network protocols..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.