Yosemite toolbar keeps disappearing!

Reaction score
I just installed Yosemite on my mini. The Apple toolbar at the top of the screen keeps disappearing when I maximize a window. That didn't happen when I had Mavericks. It is very frustrating to move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen to see the toolbar. As soon as I move the mouse away, the toolbar disappears. I've looked around System Preferences & I don't see any way to keep the toolbar locked to the top of the screen when I maximize a window. I've had to add Mission Control to the Dock so I can change windows. I also have to move the cursor to the bottom of the screen to show the Dock because that disappears too. HELP! How do I lock the Dock to keep it from disappearing & how do I lock the Apple toolbar so that it doesn't disappear every time that I maximize a window?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
View > Hide Toolbar, or View > Show Toolbar

OP
D
Reaction score
View > Hide Toolbar, or View > Show Toolbar

I think that it is called the Apple menu bar. You know, it's at the very top of the screen with the Apple logo. Yesterday, when I clicked on the green maximize button on Firefox, the Firefox window went full-screen. But this morning, when I click on Firefox on the Dock, it maximizes, but it doesn't go full screen. After I sent the post I went to Google & found out that Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided to change the functionality of the green maximize button. Now instead of maximizing, the window goes full-screen. I found out that one needs to hold down the Option button before clicking on the green "Maximize" button.Yet this morning, Firefox didn't go full-screen when I clicked on the icon on the Dock. I don't understand the inconsistency.

I'd love to tell you of my honest opinion of Apples' genius, but I would use very colorful language & get kicked off of the forum. Thanks Apple! I hope that the powers-that-be at Apple get a lot of complaints from Apple owners & Apple stores & Apple tech support & change the green button function back in a future update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.