Yosemite problems

Reaction score
This was a big problem, but now all solved except one.

I use a Seagate Flex 3TB drive as my Time Machine, which was fine until the update.

Now It will not verify/repair says something about slices.

Then I finally got it saying all was OK, so did a Backup Now.

It seemed to be doing OK and I left it overnight. It had 1.7TB on data on it at that time.

Came back today, and it is back to where it was - saying it can't be repaired, and I need to reformat....which is not a problem, but I don't have another spare drive with that much space on it.....

Why should it be a problem..... even Seagate App doesn't recognise it now....

I have switched off, unplugged, and rebooted, still no good.

I have an iMac 27 Mid 2010 i5 with 12GB Ram and the rest as was purchased, with a 1TB drive internal.

Advice appreciated, if needs be I shall have to buy a new drive and just keep the other or just do a reformat and backup.

Fortunately most of my work is backed up elsewhere on other drives and I am now retired, but I am not happy that an update from Apple has caused me these problems.

carol:'(

OP
C
Reaction score
JAKE thanks for your quick response, but why would it only fail when I had to update the OS for the Mac.... any thoughts...just seems strange... But thanks

Carol

M

MacInWin

Coincidence. Also, when the first backup after installing Yosemite took place, the backup was much larger, driving data into sectors of the drive that may have been previously unused. So when the system got to those bad sectors, it failed. You got it to work, sort of, with multiple retries on repair (indicating problems just by that one factor alone) but it immediately got back to failing. If you can afford to lose what's on the drive, you can do a reformat and see if that helps, but failing drives fail. If you do reformat it, make it do at least one erasing pass over the entire drive, testing every sector.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK will just check everything important is backed up elsewhere and then will do as suggested, it would save me around £140...

Carol

Reaction score
I am having some major problems with Yosemite, to

There is something terribly wrong with Yosemite. My apps don't all work, and when I try to re-install them, i get messages saying they no longer recognize power apps. My Epson Scanner, that i use to scan negatives into photos, no longer works, and it is not the scanner. I am trying to get back to the version below Yosemitie. It is horrible.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Apple dropped support for PowerPC apps several generations ago. Going back one version won't do you any good. You'll have to go back to what you had before. It's not Yosemite, support for PowerPCs went away well before Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact OS X.7 Lion, OS X.8 Mountain Lion, OS X.9 Mavericks and now OS X.10 Yosemite do not support old PowerPC apps. You were four operating systems behind. We all faced this problem.

C

chas_m

And most of us sailed smoothly through it by keeping our apps up-to-date. It was unwise of you not to do that, and to try jumping at minimum four generations of OS upgrades in a single go without asking for advice on proceeding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.