Yosemite Installer Download Time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
My DSL download speed is usually around 2.0 Mbps. So I figured it would take me about 45-60 minutes to download the Yosemite Installer from the App Store.

Unfortunately this download is just crawling along, with an estimated completion duration of around 5 to 6 HOURS (per the App Store Purchases icon). I hate to go to bed with it still running, only to find out in the morning that it crashed.

Any suggestions for speeding it along? I read where one user paused the download and changed the Telus DNS Server to a Google DNS Server, and the download really speeded up. I'm not sure I know how to change servers.

Thanks in advance.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
First, I wouldn't worry about going to bed, and leaving the download going. If anything the Apple servers are reliable in the way that it will continue to download.
The problem you have, could be the Apple Servers are getting throttled, and if that is happening, no matter what you do, nothing will speed up. At the least, you will wake up, with the Install Window showing on your screen (the Install.dmg opens up once the download is finished) and you will be ready to go.
If everything else has been the same, as in Safari pages opening and other download's are the same speed, I would leave it and get a good nights sleep.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any suggestions for speeding it along?

Get faster internet service!;) But seriously…just keep chugging along as you are…it will finish eventually.

Another option is to visit your local McDonald's, Starbuck's, etc. Their free WiFi internet service may be faster than yours.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Well, I woke up this morning to a present under my Christmas tree. Santa came sometime during the night and completed the Yosemite Installer download. According to the progress bar, it took around 6 hours to do the download. I then selected install, and in another 45 minutes Yosemite was installed and my iMac was set up. The background screen and icons are crisp, and I like the picture of the Dome. The screen layout and the colors are a little different, but I'll either get use to them or change.

Thanks to all who helped me........

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get faster internet service!;) But seriously…just keep chugging along as you are…it will finish eventually.

Another option is to visit your local McDonald's, Starbuck's, etc. Their free WiFi internet service may be faster than yours.

- Nick

Nick, unfortunately I do live in the sticks. We use two cans and a string for most of our communications; however, my ISP has promised bigger cans starting next month.

I don't have a Mac notebook, and the iMac is almost too big to lug around to the nearest McDonalds (25 miles) or Starbucks (80 miles). But I am a happy camper now. Thanks for all your help. :Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I woke up this morning to a present under my Christmas tree. Santa came sometime during the night and completed the Yosemite Installer download.

Christmas in Arkansas (3 months late). When do you celebrate the 4th of July…October 4th??;) Just teasing!:)

Congrats on finishing the Yosemite download…and it sounds like the install went ok too!:)

By the way. I would have advised you to make a bootable USB stick of Yosemite BEFORE you installed it. ESPECIALLY given the LONG download time.

A bootable installer of the OS can come in REAL HANDY when you have serious storage problems. The reason why making a bootable installer BEFORE doing the actual install is…the install file is automatically deleted after the install is finished. So if you NOW wanted to make a bootable USB stick installer of Yosemite…you would have to download it again.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, unfortunately I do live in the sticks. We use two cans and a string for most of our communications; however, my ISP has promised bigger cans starting next month.

Bigger "cans" are better! lol ;)

I don't have a Mac notebook, and the iMac is almost too big to lug around to the nearest McDonalds (25 miles) or Starbucks (80 miles).

Yes…I didn't know what model Mac you had (not mentioned in the thread). But I do see it is mentioned in your Mac-Forums profile.:) So yes…hauling an iMac to McDonald's wouldn't be the best thing to do!;) 25 miles to the nearest McDonald's isn't too bad (considering the downloading Yosemite part). Plus you get a meal while you're there!:) 80 miles to Starbuck's is wayyy too far!

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Christmas in Arkansas (3 months late). When do you celebrate the 4th of July…October 4th??;) Just teasing!:)

Congrats on finishing the Yosemite download…and it sounds like the install went ok too!:)

By the way. I would have advised you to make a bootable USB stick of Yosemite BEFORE you installed it. ESPECIALLY given the LONG download time.

A bootable installer of the OS can come in REAL HANDY when you have serious storage problems. The reason why making a bootable installer BEFORE doing the actual install is…the install file is automatically deleted after the install is finished. So if you NOW wanted to make a bootable USB stick installer of Yosemite…you would have to download it again.;)

- Nick
Nick, as you and others advised on another thread I started (where I was looking for a Yosemite install disk), I did create a USB bootable installer using DiskMaker X before I installed Yosemite. Next I plan on creating a Yosemite clone using SuperDuper.

Before I did anything with Yosemite, I created a clone of my current OS, Snow Leopard. I didn't need to make a USB bootable installer because I had purchased the bootable installation disk for $19.99. I was playing it safe in case I ever wanted to go back to Snow Leopard.

The install of Yosemite went great.......took about 45 minutes. I was just a little (very) surprised that the download of the Yosemite installer took so long. At my typical download speed of 2Mbps, my math said it should have taken about 45 minutes rather than 6 hours. But it was what it was, and I am OK with it all.

Have a great weekend. Is you avatar a picture of your dog?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, as you and others advised on another thread I started (where I was looking for a Yosemite install disk), I did create a USB bootable installer using DiskMaker X before I installed Yosemite. Next I plan on creating a Yosemite clone using SuperDuper.

Before I did anything with Yosemite, I created a clone of my current OS, Snow Leopard. I didn't need to make a USB bootable installer because I had purchased the bootable installation disk for $19.99. I was playing it safe in case I ever wanted to go back to Snow Leopard.

AWESOME! I didn't remember all that. Sounds like you are really all set. You got a lot of GREAT advice in that thread!!!:)

The install of Yosemite went great.......took about 45 minutes.

Awesome. Apple makes it so easy.:)

I was just a little (very) surprised that the download of the Yosemite installer took so long. At my typical download speed of 2Mbps, my math said it should have taken about 45 minutes rather than 6 hours. But it was what it was, and I am OK with it all.

Don't forget. Everything on your end could have been fine. You never know…things on the Apple end could have been slow or busy. You never know. You could possibly try downloading Yosemite again next Friday…and the download could go much faster. Not that you need to download Yosemite again. It would just be an experiment.:)

Is you avatar a picture of your dog?

Yes it is. 150 pounds of furry, slobbery, stinky, dirty, did I say hairy, lazy dogginess! Ha Ha Ha!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.