Yosemite incompatible with Office 2011

Reaction score
I use Word and Excel from Office 2011 (all updates loaded as they come) on my iMac. I upgraded to 10.10 last week and that was the end of Word & Excel. They no longer work. So after many goes to get them started I deleted Office 2011 from Applications with a view to a re-instal from the original disc. Despite pleading my iMac, with whom I thought I had good relations it refused to even see the disc and spat it out. So that is the end of Word and Excel for the time being. I am surprised Apple would issue an update of OS if this situation was even a possibility without warning us punters. After all huge numbers must use Office on their Mac's. I read all the so called fixes but non-techies like me glaze over at the prospect. My iMac is 2009 era with a 2.66 GHz processor (whatever that is) and 4 GB SDRAM so it is pretty much up to date and I load all the updates as the come. Luckily I also have a Macbook Air that has not been upgraded and can still use my Office software on that until this problem gets resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Just to be sure .... when you say Office 2011, do you mean Office 2011 For Mac or just Office 2011.

Office 2011 for Mac ( Word, Excel , Powerpoint ) works just fine on Yosemite. I use it every day for 10 hours a day, even more sometimes. All functionality is working and all documents are fine.

What makes you say " it was the end of Word & Excel " ... what are the symptoms?
Any error messages on screen or in the log files.

Take a step back and remove all the emotions from your earlier post. :)
What exactly is going on ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes it is Office for Mac. And lucky you. I also have a Mini Mac server upgraded to 10.10 where it works but not my iMac. I was not asking for solutions just posting what happened on one of my computers. But as you ask the program started but no window appeared and the "not responding message" came up.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I was not asking for solutions just posting what happened on one of my computers.

Interesting..

I also have Office 2011 installed on two different Macs running Yosemite and it works fine.

Have you tried to uninstall and re-install Office after the Yosemite installation?

Reaction score
I also had this problem after a clean (re)install of Yosemite on my iMac recently. Big, long stinkin error message. Updated Office 2011 from the Microsoft website, and all is well - so far. Hear me knocking on wood?

C

chas_m

Yes it is Office for Mac. And lucky you. I also have a Mini Mac server upgraded to 10.10 where it works but not my iMac. I was not asking for solutions just posting what happened on one of my computers. But as you ask the program started but no window appeared and the "not responding message" came up.

So what you're actually saying here is that you already know that "Yosemite not compatible with Office 2011" is a lie, since you already have a machine running Yosemite that works with Office 2011. Also, I'd conservatively estimate there are several million users who are running Office 2011 under Yosemite (I did, but I recently uninstalled it as I never use it anymore), so I think we would have seen this problem come up from more than one person (you) if it were in fact incompatible.

So clearly, it's not, and it's a problem on your end.

Have you tried completely uninstalling Office 2011 from the machine where it is not working and re-installing it from your original DVDs, taking care not to use the license code for the one that's installed on your Mac mini?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.