Yosemite: Icons for bookmarks

Reaction score
I upgraded my new (oct '14) mac mini to Yosemite the other day, the install went cleanly as far as I can tell. I'm still learning my way around it. There is one thing though that bugs me a fair bit. In my bookmarks, many websites often have an icon that makes finding their bookmark much easier. So far, all the bookmarks in Yosemite are blank and identical. I can't seem to find a preference to put those icons on their bookmark buttons like I had in Snow Leopard, etc. It may sound trivial but considering I have about 20 something bookmarks for weather alone (yeah, I'm a New Englander, how did you guess?) being able to tell the 4 bookmarks to accuweather from the 5 bookmarks to wonderground without having to read all the way across the URL which is often frustratingly small for the visually impaired such as myself.

M

MacInWin

Try going to the sites through the bookmarks. Those icons come from the site itself, so going to them may trigger the site to send it to your mini again.

OP
B
Reaction score
Try going to the sites through the bookmarks. Those icons come from the site itself, so going to them may trigger the site to send it to your mini again.

I know what you are talking about, the same thing applied to Snow Leopard when I refreshed the history/dumped cookies. Had to visit the sites in order to get their icons back on the Bookmarks. However, this is not happening in Yosemite. Yet. Hopefully it will be part of an update, but I'd like to let it be known that this is a feature that is missed and there is a want to have it included in Yosemite.

Is there any sort of clearing house of comments from the peanut gallery for the coders at Apple to ignore, er, I mean pay attention to?:Mischievous::D

M

MacInWin

Well, some of mind DID come back, some didn't, so it seems to depend on the site. I wouldn't expect Apple to do anything, if that's the case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The web site "favcons" or web site icons no longer show up when you open the folders on the side bar. That seems to be by design in the new Safari. However, the favcons are still there as long as you have not deleted all your history and web site data. If you open each individual web site folder and then click on a particular URL within that folder, the favcons are there.

In your example for Weather... if you have a bookmark folder named "Weather" and in that folder have 10 sites, those favcons will be visible. That has not changed from previous versions of Safari. All my favcons were carried over from the Mavericks version of Safari to the Yosemite version of Safari. None were lost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.