Yosemite: How To Ignore Updates?

Reaction score
In earlier OS versions there was an option to ignore specific updates. This seems to be missing under Yosemite. For instance I don't need to add raw file compatibility for some just-released cameras I don't own. Have looked in SP already.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You can ignore updates by not clicking the " Update " or " Update All " button :)
Should you ignore updates ? No ... is the short answer :)

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't want updates like this. The software itself is unchanged. They simply added on support for cameras I don't own to be able to convert raw image files, which most people don't do.

We used to be able to click "ignore" on specific software updates. Perhaps this can still be done in some manner.

SCR2_zpsb816591c.jpg

M

MacInWin

No, you cannot ignore except by ignoring it humanly, as McBie said. It will always still be there as an update that is available to you.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's too bad.

I hope they add back the old ignore option so that individual updates can be handled as desired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
And what are the criteria that you use to decide you want to ignore an update, if you don't know what the update will deliver.
Or is it just the Raw compatibility for camera's ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
And what are the criteria that you use to decide you want to ignore an update, if you don't know what the update will deliver.
Or is it just the Raw compatibility for camera's ?

Cheers ... McBie

ALL of the earlier OS versions I have used had a way to ignore particular updates such that you did not have to do the update then. But you could later do them if desired. Just like how I can re-download my purchased apps if desired.

I'm on a capped data plan, so I don't like using data I don't require. Sometimes a particular version of software is doing all I need and I won't need it much longer. Sometimes I don't have the time to finish a DL or want to milk out what connection speed I have ATM for my work instead of the 5th update from some software in a week....for those I'd rather wait and extra week or so until the developer gets their act together.

Doesn't really matter in the end. AGAIN, this is a change to the update behavior Apple used historically.

I'm sure I'll find a way to do this again, so that I don't permanently have a long list of updates pending amongst the ones I do desire.

Reaction score
this is why you buy real internet data caps are garbage because every app you use uses data online including iWork

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some folks have no choice but to go with an Internet Provider that caps data. Not everyone lives in the big city where there are four or five choices of providers to go with. My FIOS internet connection is fast and has no caps, but I assure you it isn't cheap either.

The OP is doing the right thing by not downloading unnecessary stuff he doesn't need.

Reaction score
Yes, is the long answer....

You can ignore updates by not clicking the " Update " or " Update All " button :)
Should you ignore updates ? No ... is the short answer :)

Cheers ... McBie

Dear McBie, I think the long answer might be because the updates keep replacing the right driver, as in the case of the OS X Epson Printer updates which install the GIMP drivers not Epson's. After they're installed many printer features disappear and network and maintenance utilities no longer find the printer, along with many other oddities.
If you are using a large format Epson for professional purposes, as am I, this can really pooch your work flow for a few hours.
For what it's worth I think it would probably be asking a lot of Apple to keep up with all Epson's driver updates; so, a HIDE or INGORE button or option would be a very direct and simple remedy. :|

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Stanley I have not tried this procedure and don't have updates pending at the moment but give this method a try:
1. When there is an update you want to ignore launch the App Store and select the "Updates" tab.
2. Right-click (or control-click) on the banner for an update and choose "Hide Update"

When a subsequent update is made to the same application I think you have to do the procedure again.
The bulk of the article talks about ignoring OS updates but seems to apply for all App Store updates
Don’t Want to Update your Mac to OS X Yosemite? Hide the Update from the App Store | OSXDaily

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
The right-click and Hide solution doesn't apply to those of us already using Yosemite, as right-click (or Ctrl+click) on the update banner does not produce any menu (or button) for us. I'm not looking for reasons why I shouldn't ignore updates. I just don't want to install updates which I have determined I don't need. Since the OS10.10.x UI lacks an ignore function, if anyone could suggest commands to try in Terminal, it would be greatly appreciated.

C

chas_m

The answer has been explained to you multiple times already. Just don't install the updates you don't want/need. The good news is that that update will eventually disappear -- when it is superceded by a later update. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not trying to give you reasons you need the upgrade. That's up to you. This is the only method I have found so far to ignore those updates.

That site usually gets these kinds of things right. I suggest trying one more time making sure tue follow the directions carefully. I can't test it at the moment because I don't have any pending OS updates. Keep in mind though that when a new OS update appears the warning will pop up again. If, for example, you told it to ignore 10.10.3 then the warning appears again when the 10.10.4 update appears. The same is true for third party programs/drivers. if an application releases update 1.3 and you ignore it the warning appears again when a 1.4 update is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
OK. Thanks Chas and Sly for your help.

Reaction score
Since the OS10.10.x UI lacks an ignore function, if anyone could suggest commands to try in Terminal, it would be greatly appreciated.

The answer to your question is here. You would think that the experts would have known this.

https://developer.apple.com/library...Reference/ManPages/man8/softwareupdate.8.html

Enjoy.

I only found this article because this thread was the first one that showed up in Google search, I had to search further to find the answer. Like you I have good reasons to not want updates popping up for flipping Garage bloody Band and the like :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answer to your question is here. You would think that the experts would have known this.

https://developer.apple.com/library...Reference/ManPages/man8/softwareupdate.8.html

Enjoy.

I only found this article because this thread was the first one that showed up in Google search, I had to search further to find the answer. Like you I have good reasons to not want updates popping up for flipping Garage bloody Band and the like :D

See Post #10 above. Much simpler and less daunting for most of our users.

Reaction score
Post #10 doesnt apply to Yosemite, the OP already mentioned that. He asked for a command line solution, and there it is.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you actually read the article? It specifically mentions application to Yosemite updates.

Reaction score
Thank you!

Enjoy.

A helpful reply. Who would have thought it possible!

Thank you for this. I have been looking for a fix for awhile.

And in my case, it does not matter to anyone but me why I want to ignore an update. I just do. Now I know how. Thank you.

Skiph

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.