Yosemite beta2: Cannot delete folders & files in the Trash sinc they are in use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I tried emptying my Trash the other day and got the error that items could not be deleted because they were in use. I found a strange folder named lost+found. Inside it there are 66 other folders with names like dir_3444703 where the number is different on each folder. Those folder contain a variety of things like other folders and files and even some .plists. I checked permissions and I had full read/write access to the lost+found folder and contents. I restarted the computer and it all was still there and I could not delete them because they were in use. Oh, I also tried the Option-Empty Trash and every thing was in use.

Does anyone know how lost+found was created and how files and folder get put there?

Does anyone know how I can empty my Trash of all of these folders and files?

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
Yosemite beta2: Cannot delete folders & files in the Trash sinc they are in use.

No idea about folders. Did you try Secure Empty Trash from Finder?

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought that holding the Option key down when selecting Empty Trash did the secure delete. I was wrong. I chose Secure Empty Trash and off it went...for nearly 2 hours. Now, I have a really fast Intel i7 processor but this was painfully slow. I stopped watching after a while but at one point there were over 6,000 files waiting to be deleted. I had investigated more of the sub folders and found one folder with 234 aliases in it. I have no idea where these files and folders came from. I have no idea what sent them to the trash. I have no idea why they were all busy. I have no idea why I, as an admin, couldn't delete them. But they are gone. :D Thanks.

Question answered and problem solved but no understanding why it happened. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.