Yosemite Beta

Reaction score
I install Yosemite beta before 3 months. Today my MacBook stuck at login. I try holding down cmd+r ,select disk utility and repair my disk. There was no problem but it couldn't restart again. Can you please help me ?? Also I have to mention that I didn't have back up my files and I really don't want to lose them! Is there any way to go back to mavericks without losing my files?

C

chas_m

I'm going to skip the lecture about how stupid it was to install a beta OS with no backup and tell you that yes, you may be able to go back to Mavericks through the Recovery partition, but frankly it will be something of a miracle if your data survives this process entirely intact.

And of course, if the reason you can't boot into the OS anymore is because the boot partition is damaged, there's no guarantee that going back will successfully boot either.

There's no sure way to fix this problem without at least a RISK of losing your files, but if you have any friends who also have Macs you might be able to get one of them to mount your computer as though it were an external hard drive through Firewire Target Disk Mode, but both computers must have Firewire for this to work.

If you can do that, you should be able to salvage your personal files. But that's a lot of ifs.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes, I know i've made a big mistake! Can you please tell me about the process of getting my files through Firewire and about the process of booting to Mavericks???

Thanks a lot for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can hopefully use Recovery (Command + R on chime) and format the hard drive and download a copy of Mavericks. Alas all your files will be gone with no backup, which is essential. Otherwise off to the Apple Store or Genius Bar and ask they restore it no doubt for a price. here is how to use Recovery:-

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I can't believe that so many seem to either disregard or not even read Apple's Warning prior to installing the Yosemite beta.

You know the part that states:
"We recommend installing OS X Yosemite Beta on a secondary Mac, since it may contain errors or inaccuracies. Please be sure to back up your Mac using Time Machine before you install the beta. This is beta software that is still in development, which means some applications and services may not work as expected."

I can't even imagine running the final public release without a cloned CCC backup when it's released.

Anyway, sad to hear and I'd stronly support using the method chasm suggested to recover any data. If the OP want's to read or follow doing so, and before more damage is done!! :D

C

chas_m

If both Macs have FireWire, then you would use a FireWire cable to connect them. If not, try an Ethernet cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The Ethernet method is nice and fast, but unfortunately the OP says they can't reboot which will be needed to use the Ethernet method. :(

And if Firewire can't be used or doesn't work, they can always pull the drive and install it into an external enclosure as a last resort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.