Yosemite and New Photo App?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi :)

I'm going to be buying a new iMac around December or early 2015 sometime and I know that OS X Yosemite and Photo app will be released but when. I'm hoping both will be on the iMacs at the time I decide to buy one.

I use iPhoto ALOT, all my photos go straight into iPhoto from my ipad and iphone, I have over 40GB of photos in my library;P

Is Yosemite coming out near the end of the year or will it be released early 2015? with or without the Photo app?

Does this 'new' photo app that is replacing iPhoto going to be part of a new iLife package or will it be an app on it's own? Will it be part of OSX Yosemite or do we have to get this Photo app later as an upgrade.

It would be nice if this photo app that's replacing iPhoto should be part of iLife. If I get iLife on the new iMac on top of the new Photo app, that will maybe create conflict with the two apps.

Thanks, this will help me know when I should wait till but my new iMac :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new version of OS X ("Yosemite") should be released within the next month or so. It's uncertain when the new Photos application will be released and if it will be included with Yosemite. Keep in mind that your iPhoto application will still be on your machine and will function as before. Apple does not remove the older version of an application when installing a new one. Reference: Garage Band, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks for the info on when Yosemite might be release, I'll keep an eye out.

Keep in mind that your iPhoto application will still be on your machine and will function as before. Apple does not remove the older version of an application when installing a new one. Reference: Garage Band, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

Even on the new iMacs that we can buy, say in 2015? I don't quite get why they would keep iPhoto (part of iLife) on there macs they are selling which will have Yosemite on it as the new OSX. ohhh I just noticed that they are in built apps. Maybe iphoto will be replaced with Photos rather than provide iPhoto and Photos.

I won't be doing any updates on my current mac, I will be updating it once Yosemite is actually on the macs Apple are selling. I have iWork 08 still.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Running Yosemite Beta 3 Jenn and iPhoto is part of that so cannot se any changes and do not think there will be any joy regarding iWork 08.

C

chas_m

iPhoto will continue to work in Yosemite so there's no need to do anything in the short term.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But when I buy a new iMac in 2015 will iPhoto still be on the imacs as it's being replaced with Photos?

I don't want to buy a new iMac in December when Yosemite is here to find out in 2015 I will have to do something as I won't be able to upload photos to iphoto anymore and to use Photos.

I may not be explaining things right here

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the new 2015 iMac does not include iPhoto but has Photos instead, you can always migrate your copy of iPhoto to the new iMac. You're not throwing away your old Mac are you?

C

chas_m

Since we don't know exactly when Photos will come out -- but we DO know it won't be included in the initial release of Yosemite -- there's nobody here who can answer your question. Apple will very likely include iPhoto on new machines as they are right now until Photos comes out sometime early next year.

If you have iPhoto on your machine, Photos will probably *not* overwrite it. Apple doesn't tend to do that. So you can keep using it if you want. In fact, Photos and iPhoto (and Aperture) will probably share the same library, so I would expect there to be little to nothing to worry about for at least another year or two.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone :) As I have a huge iphoto library I just worry that I will get stuck moving the photos into the new Photos app. But yes, if be great if iphoto, photos share the same library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.