Yosemite and iPhoto

Reaction score
Since installing Yosemite, iPhoto fails to open. I can get into my photo library through iMovie!

How do I get iPhoto to work in Yosemite?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're likely running an older version of iPhoto which no longer works with Yosemite. A new version of iPhoto (9.6) is required before it can be used in Yosemite. Go to the Mac App Store and update.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have tried to do that but the App store fails to give me the option to download because it appears that I do already have 9.6 installed!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, then take a close look to see if you also have an older version of iPhoto remaining. If it is, the system thinks that it's still the default and that could be why it won't open. iPhoto 9.6 is the correct version to use with Yosemite and no reason why it shouldn't work unless you still have the older version.

Reaction score
MBP Yosemite "Photo"

I hope I'm in the right forum. I updated to Yosemite recently, on my new MBP but haven't updated to Photo. I under stand there's a charge required to use Photo? Plus it took me ages to learn iPhoto, and I don't want to go through learning another app that may be as complex.
I still have my old MBP using Mavericks with iPhoto.

Is it possible to start Photo in Yosemite without incurring charges? The "Cloud" thing is confusing, and I'm not very good at tech things. Thanks!

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are talking about Photos (which shipped with Yosemite) there isn't a charge for that program. If Photos starts it uses its own interface. It doesn't behave exactly like iPhoto but is similar. If you are using the latest version of iPhoto it should run fine under Yosemite.

Here's an extensive overview of Photos. It should give you an idea of how the program works.If you look at the tasks you now do in iPhoto it should show how they are done in Photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.