Yosemite Accessibility Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
When you pull up Accessibility, you can click the "increase contrast" tick box and a beautiful thing occurs. All of the IMHO ugly *** areas pretending to be buttons up on the toolbars of apps get a really appealing black outline which gives them a little depth back and many other small changes happen that just overall in my opinion make Yosemite a much more eye pleasing OS. Here's the caveat, it won't let you put a tick in that box without also autoselecting the "Reduce Transparency" box. What gives? Why in the **** does OS X have to make my entire dock and menu bar solid white just to add those little touches to places that have nothing to do with the dock and menubar. I was so happy for a few minutes till I saw those two details. Does anyone have a way to implement the results of checking increase contrast without the system automatically forcing you to take the second option? Or maybe a workaround?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I selected "Use dark menu bar and Dock" from System Preferences General preferences to enhance the buttons and make the dock icons and light more visible. Increasing the contrast whether it be the display contrast or overall does nothing for me. Just my opinion....

OP
drumvudu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
I selected "Use dark menu bar and Dock" from System Preferences General preferences to enhance the buttons and make the dock icons and light more visible. Increasing the contrast whether it be the display contrast or overall does nothing for me. Just my opinion....

Yea, that's not really what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the check box that makes the buttons everywhere have a much darker, more defined outline on the toolbar. It looks fantastic.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I knew what you were referring to. I already tried that (and yes the Reduce Transparency box gets automatically ticked) but I didn't like the effect. Note, however, I'm using a late 2013 27" iMac which might make a difference.

Reaction score
problem with dark menu in spotlight

I have changed the menu to dark with my new yosemite upgrade but now when I want to made a search in the bar the letters are black so it is very dificult to see what Im writing. How can I change the color to white? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When the Spotlight dialog opens with the suggestions (Safari, iTunes, Apps, etc.) click on the line below that says "Learn More". The dialog then comes up with a white background where you can enter your search as before.

Reaction score
Im sorry chscag but when Spotlight opens I can see only one dark bar in the center of the screen "Spotlight Search" and nothing more. Then I have tIo write the word or sentence Im looking for but the letters are in black color. Certenly I can see the dialog opens with options but the problem is before when I need to write my search. Thank you any way for your advice

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I see what you mean now. Yes, it opens with a dark bar that makes it pretty much impossible to see what you're typing until you type in the first letter. I don't use Spotlight as it's not very good at finding deeply hidden items.

I use "Find Any File"

and "Easy Find" (In the Mac App Store)

Try them. Both are free and far superior to Spotlight. ;)

Reaction score
Yes, probably you are right. I will try as your advice. Thanks a lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.