Yogi deleted his Desktop

Reaction score
Ok guys I screwed up - I couldn't find an answer and I'm bummed.

I accidentally chucked out my Desktop folder and after I restored it, the icon was gone and the Desktop didn't show the contents of my Desktop folder anymore. How do I tell Mac OS X where my Desktop folder is?

Help appreciated as usual,

cheers
yogi

Reaction score
I think I could duplicate mine if I boot into 9 (it won't let me while I'm in X). I could email it Zipped, so you'd at least have the icon. There's probably stuff (technical term) the folder needs that might go along with it. Your pathways, though, would be different, but it might adapt, like the Borg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Ok guys I screwed up - I couldn't find an answer and I'm bummed.

I accidentally chucked out my Desktop folder and after I restored it, the icon was gone and the Desktop didn't show the contents of my Desktop folder anymore. How do I tell Mac OS X where my Desktop folder is?

Help appreciated as usual,

cheers
yogi

Create a new user account and transfer your settings and files to it, then delete the old one.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hm.

Ok I think that's a good idea. I always wanted to have a proper user name, anyway. "Yogi" looks so unprofessional in front of your professor.

Reaction score
Hm.

Ok I think that's a good idea. I always wanted to have a proper user name, anyway. "Yogi" looks so unprofessional in front of your professor.

Maybe, but I bet you're smarter than the average bear...

OP
Y
Reaction score
Lol.

Recently I've started using my real name wherever possible. It makes me more transparent to everyone. I've learned to be proud of who I am. I don't hide my photo on my blog, either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Lol.

Recently I've started using my real name wherever possible. It makes me more transparent to everyone. I've learned to be proud of who I am. I don't hide my photo on my blog, either.

Nor in your avatar right yogi... errr.... Steve. :D:D:D

OP
Y
Reaction score
Well I chose not to change that because peopel recognize me here with that - I'd be SO confused seeing you without the Hobbes-Tiger.

BTW, no name change for me - a simple Finder relaunch solved the issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well I chose not to change that because peopel recognize me here with that - I'd be SO confused seeing you without the Hobbes-Tiger.

BTW, no name change for me - a simple Finder relaunch solved the issue.

Very cool. Glad you got it working. Will have to remember that in case I mess up someday!

Agreed on the Jobs icon. That is you here at Mac Forums!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.