Yet another maximize question

Reaction score
Sorry to do this, but reading the many other maximize threads isn't answering my question, so here goes...

The green + button toggles between a standard size and a user-defined size. It's my understanding that the standard size is rarely full screen.

My problem is that all my apps seem have a standard size of nearly full screen (full height and almost full width). On my 24" monitor, that's huge.

I wonder if I changed a setting somewhere that changed the standard size of my windows.

TIA

Reaction score
G'day switcher.mac & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Try launching your most used apps and custom setting the window size. Close the apps and relaunch them. The window sizes upon relaunching should be the custom size you set just before closing the apps ... does that make sense?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, that makes sense but doesn't fix the problem. It's the standard size that seems wrong (full screen), not the user-defined size (anything I want).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The zoom button's default state is set by the software manufacturer.

So if they've set it to fit the window to the document, it'll do that.
They can also set it to a 'standard' size or even as a toggle between window modes (see iTunes).

There's no 'setting' to change it's behavior afaik.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, I think I see now. My Firefox zooms to nearly full screen. My Opera zooms to entirely full screen. Mac Mail zooms to full screen.

Safari, on the other hand zooms to a intermediate size.

So, that's all proper behavior, then. Right?

Reaction score
Yeah. Safari will actually simply expand as far as is needed to show everything correctly, and no further, unless told to. Try it on few different websites, you may find it interesting...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.