Yeah, I just had my first Mac screw over, too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
My beloved little Powerbook has decided to only function when it feels like it. For some reason, the networking connection turns on and off. I can click on a website and it works, and then it stops, and then it works again. So I go try my networking...I open a movie clip over the network, it plays...and then it stops and OS X says the network device has disconnected. So I go over and reset my router and whatnot, and try again. Same results. So now I go over to my PC (which is on the same router/network) and use it...it works perfectly. I come back to my Mac, it doesn't work.

So, I ran permission repairs and crons, and rebooted. I checked the directory SMB settings, etc. Nothing is working.

This is really pissing me off.
I'm posting with my PC right now. *grumbles*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Running on AC power? Did repair permissions find anything? If there's still a problem restart - hold command S to single user terminal and type /sbin/fsck -fy until ******FILE SYSTEM CHANGED****** doesn't show anymore

N

nicholas

I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Perhaps the airport card in your PB is loose? Maybe you can try playing around with the sharing and networking preferences in your system preferences folder? Maybe try double-checking or tweaking the configuration of your base station in your airport admin utility? Have you tried calling Apple Care? Do you have any other disk utility software like Norton or Diskwarrior?

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hah! Okay I have to redeem my little Mac.

And to answer your questions, I have the latest gen Powerbook so I don't have an airport card, it's built into the motherboard.

ANYWAY...it turns out that it was a faulty CAT5 cable. I've been using this cable for a year or better, so I never thought to test it. Anyway, I tried using a different cable and now it's screaming right now, with no problems.

T

TylerMoney

well, see. I always do that in my everday workings with computers...and other things...I jump to conclusions, and many a time I find myself to be wrong. But I am glad to hear that it wasn't actually your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Whew! I love it when it's a simple thing! :) :D

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. I'm very glad that it wasn't my computer. My Mac is still in its proving stages, where it has to prove to me that it's a worthy long-term platform. So, when something goes really wrong, I really freak out. Tonight, my mouse cursor went completely [removed] for no apparent reason. Stuff like that kinda bothers me. But in this case, it appeared to be because of the Microsoft mouse driver that I'm using (and hate).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.