XP runs in Parallels, not with Boot Camp?!

Reaction score
Hey all, relatively new to the forums (okay, brand new), but I come seeking advice before I completely erase my Boot Camp partition. I've had my Macbook Pro running Leopard since December '07, and sometime around February of this year I used Boot Camp to install XP. Sometime after that I picked up Parallels. Recently however, when I try to boot my laptop in XP (hold down Option, choose the Windows HD, etc) the screen merely goes black, and then a few seconds later the computer restarts (into OS X). What's frustrating is that when running OS X I can access XP through Parallels. I've tried doing a system restore through Parallels, but to no avail. Has anyone ever encountered something like this before? Any help or theories would be greatly appreciated.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Okay, this is the report that the Partition Inspector included with rEFIt generated:

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
2 409640 190988327 Mac OS X HFS+
3 191250472 234441607 Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 409639 ee EFI Protective
2 409640 190988327 af Mac OS X HFS+
3 * 191250472 234441607 0c FAT32 (LBA)

MBR contents:
Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 40:
Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
File System: FAT32
Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
Boot Code: None
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+
Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 191250472:
Boot Code: Windows NTLDR
File System: FAT32
Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Basic Data
Listed in MBR as partition 3, type 0c FAT32 (LBA), active

It looks like it recognizes the FAT32 partition that XP is installed on, but the rest is mostly unintelligible to me, I'm afraid. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows is installed.

Try backing up the bootcamp partition, delete partion, recreate partition and copy partition back?

Try using winclone.

Probly best starting again.
Back up the parallels image also.
Also try using virtualbox (free virtual manager - like parallels)

Reaction score
Winclone only works with NTFS. You could convert your FAT32 to NTFS anf then using Winclone to backup and restore.

BUT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING... this might just be that Windows is crashing on startup (Blue Screen Of Death) and automatically restarting. Maybe a driver or something is crashing that isn't used while virtualized.

After choosing Windows at startup pres F8 like crazy (you might need to press down the Fn key if you are on a portable) and try to boot into safe mode to see if it boots completely.

If it does, then its a problem with windows, try to fix it or better yet, backup and reinstall it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.