• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xbox 360 or PS3; which should I buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 crappy eMac, 1 broken eMac, 1 iPod Nano, 1 failing MacBook
Do the fans on either one of them with the newer models not sound like a jet engine while doing anything?

That is SO true, and SO very obnoxious. They're relatively quite when watching movies, but as soon as you want to play anything you'll wake up everyone in the house, street and neighbourhood.

But I do have this to say about the 360:
1. If you're a student, 360 is the way to go. There is just something about college kids and FPSes. And the 360 has great FPS [and good third-person shooters, too].
2. XBox Arcade. There are so many amazing games to download.
3. Completely irrelevant, but Viva Pinata. It's a good game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I would look at the exclusive titles available for either console and buy whichever one's you feel like you can't live without. However if you own a PC you can play most xbox exclusive games like gears of war and left for dead. PS3 exclusive titles are just for PS3 such as Uncharted, Killzone2 and 3, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo etc. So you could have best of both worlds with a PS3 and PC.

Personally I bought my PS3 for the blu ray player and the other next gen technology incorporated (such as built in wireless, bluetooth, Cell processor, HDMI 1.3a, DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital True HD, optical connectivity and HDMI connectivity) as well as free online play and easily upgradeable harddrive. I must make a note that Xbox includes HDMI and wireless connectivity as standard now abut at time of purchase for me it did not. The only thing I prefer on the Xbox is the controller. The best looking exclusive titles, in my opinion, are for PS3 and with 3D capabilities for blu ray and gaming it is truly a next generation console.

Reaction score
PS3 for sure, just watch the commercial. It does everything. However, even though you don't pay for Xbox live, it seems that online content in games is increasingly an additional fee. For example skate 3 and madden 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I do have both. If I have a choice of which platform to buy a title that sold for both, it's always the PS3.

I have bricked two 360's within 15 minutes of each other though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I am rabidly, totally obsessed with HALO, so xbox all the way.

Ive never played on playstation online, so I can't say anything about the community, but I can say that halo on xbox live is mostly populated by 13 year old punks with potty mouths and way too much time on their hands.

I actually played reach last night with a kid who claimed to have been born after the first halo was released. I was able to say 'i was playing halo before you were born, b****.' Every time I shot him in the head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Got rid of my 360 and kept the PS3.

Do the fans on either one of them with the newer models not sound like a jet engine while doing anything?

they still do, but those slits on the side are great, (would have been nice about 4 years ago).
but the noise is just an excuse to turn up the volume

Reaction score
This really depends on what type of games you want to play. If your more interested in the Halo and Gears of War series then buy an Xbox 360. I personally have a PS3 because I believe they are more value for money with a Blu-Ray player. Now with the new Xbox's out it makes this decision harder. Whatever floats your boat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.