"X3d" is using all my cpu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook running 10.6.8, iphone 5S 16gb, ipad mini 64gb
I have an old macbook (7 years or so) and it is terribly slow and I can't figure out if it is just the age of it or something else specific.

I've been trying to follow online troubleshooting advice and checked the activity monitor. I noticed that every 10 or 20 seconds, almost 100% of CPU (All Processes) is utilized for a moment by a process called x3d. Is that supposed to happen? Is it affecting the computer? If yes, what can I do about it?

thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What version of OS X are you running? That will help track down what the process in question is and how to deal with it..

Over the years, you've likely accumulated a lot of apps with various components, so smartly cleaning things up will help..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What version of OS X are you running? That will help track down what the process in question is and how to deal with it..

Over the years, you've likely accumulated a lot of apps with various components, so smartly cleaning things up will help..

Hi, glad to be here and thx for the reply.

I'm running 10.6.8.

I'm sure there's plenty on my mac that needs to go...

Just not sure where to start...

Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All, any suggestions from the mac pros?! Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its unlikely that this x3d process is part of OS X itself but rather some application you've installed. It might even be a game where this is the game engine, but its hard to narrow it down with such generic words..

Take a look at your Login Items under User Accounts and see what applications are starting up on login/startup. Also take a look at what applications are running right now?

Within Activity Monitor, click on the info button when you select the x3d process and see if you can figure out where this thing lives and through that what app this is part of and then we can go from there..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its unlikely that this x3d process is part of OS X itself but rather some application you've installed. It might even be a game where this is the game engine, but its hard to narrow it down with such generic words..

Take a look at your Login Items under User Accounts and see what applications are starting up on login/startup. Also take a look at what applications are running right now?

Within Activity Monitor, click on the info button when you select the x3d process and see if you can figure out where this thing lives and through that what app this is part of and then we can go from there..

Thanks for the reply. I checked the login items and see some things things that I've previously deleted from my computer. e.g. blackberry device manager and Motocast updater. How can they be autumatically logging in if I deleted the app?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I checked the login items and see some things things that I've previously deleted from my computer. e.g. blackberry device manager and Motocast updater. How can they be autumatically logging in if I deleted the app?

Looks like there are a whole bunch of "deleted" apps under Library/application support

Can I just delete those or is there a program I need to run?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having deleted apps in the Login Items is fine, it just means that they will be tried to started but fail and just be a delay in computer startup. A good idea to go through there and delete things that you no longer have..

The application support stuff is taking up some space but not enough to be worth removing.

You might want to start up in Safe Mode and see if this X3D process shows up and if it doesn't, boot back into regular mode and then disable all automatic application launch and then start them up one by one to see when it appears and deal with the app from there..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been trying to delete login items, but can't figure out how to. When I check library/startupitems, there's nothing in there?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having deleted apps in the Login Items is fine, it just means that they will be tried to started but fail and just be a delay in computer startup. A good idea to go through there and delete things that you no longer have..

The application support stuff is taking up some space but not enough to be worth removing.

You might want to start up in Safe Mode and see if this X3D process shows up and if it doesn't, boot back into regular mode and then disable all automatic application launch and then start them up one by one to see when it appears and deal with the app from there..

how do i turn off automatic application launch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whilst since used Snow Leopard, but go into System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login items. To remove, highlight and click the little (-) button.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

What do you mean that I should see if the x3d "shows up"? What am I looking for and when?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The x3d pops up for a second. I don't see an "info" button, but see but see "Inspect" and "Sample Process" buttons. I'm attaching here a screenshot of what I get when I click on "Inspect".

Screen shot 2014-12-28 at 4.16.16 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clicking on the "launched (1)" link brings up a similar screen that has a link for "kernaltask (0)"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
x3d is used for 3D contend delivery. Something you have installed included it so you could use their app. Here is a link explaining what it does.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/what-x3d

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to figure out what app would need that type of process and either delete it or see if there is an update for it.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to figure out what app would need that type of process and either delete it or see if there is an update for it.

Lisa

No idea how to do that! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried what Raz0rEdge suggested? That is a good place to start.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried what Raz0rEdge suggested? That is a good place to start.

Lisa

Yes, have done it. Prior to starting up in safe mode, I had already tried turning off the auto application launch, but that didn't help. Like I wrote, I didn't see an "info" button in activity monitor, just "inspect" and "sample process".

I'm in safe mode now and don't see x3d in the activity monitor. i'm gonna start opening and closing programs, I guess, to see what, if anything, starts the x3d. But I have a feeling it's a remnant of a previously deleted application. I guess we'll see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.