• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Would you work for minimum wage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You might end up with Asian type sweatshops if it was completely free :)

I don't think that would happen, China the sweatshop capital of the world is not a free country. I just feel Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
worked at a Kmart for 2 years on minimum wage during highschool.
customers. suck.
That said, I managed to horde all my paychecks (was working nearly 40/hrs a week) and since I was rarely using my car (non insured, oh well deal with it). As a result, I have a great retirement plan set up, and currently make about 50 bucks per month from my savings account in interest, 40 of which goes right into my retirement savings.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How does a place like California have a min wage of $8.50?

I didn't expect America to have such a small min wage :|

I would also like to know the answer to that question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
I would also like to know the answer to that question.

8.50 is small?
jesus, you canifornians...
Minimum wage in MN is 7.25 an hour, and we had to walk 20 miles in the snow, uphill both ways naked to get our paychecks and we never complained about it!

Reaction score
I would ifit was something I either REALLY enjoyed doing, or required minimal effort. otherwise the company is just greedy and should be demolished.
MAX WAGE FOR ALL ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
As stated by some of the family guys on here, of course I would work minimum wage if I had to put food on the table.

Currently, I get paid almost $23.00/hr plus benefits, and so that would be a huge drop in pay for me and would not be considered my first option, but I would definitely flip some burgers to pay the bills and feed my family.

Now, as far as compromising for something I love? ****, no! I would compromise on pay a little to do something that I love, but it would still have to be a decent living. Likewise, I wouldn't put up with a job I hate just so I can make more money.

Right now, I'm in school and will likely make a lateral move when I'm finished, but at least I'll be doing something I like (computers). I recently turned down a $10,000 promotion because I didn't want to dedicate myself to being miserable in the particular job I was offered and work for people I'd worked with before who would multiply this misery.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Either way I don't think there should even be a minimum wage. I believe in the free market, As little Government regulation and oversight as possible, Oh BTW I'm a Government employee too.
A free market would push employers to lower salaries in an effort to save money and maximise revenue. Look at how many employers pay their employees minimum wage? The reason is simple - it's the lowest wage they can pay their employees. If they could, they'd go lower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I worked minimum wage at a family-run hardware store. I saved up my money, got my tuition in order for this semester, and still had 1,900 left over to carry me until the end of semester. I gave them my 2 week notice as the semester started. Now to just relax(easier said than done!) and focus on studying. I had 1,500 in my savings account earning 3.5%, and I didn't want to touch it, so I sold my ipad to 2 books that I needed. I don't touch my SA...ever, when I know I can get the money from something else. That 3.5% equals a little over $51 dollars:) I get for free!

I think it's perfectly fine for students to work at minimum wage levels, BUT, and this is a huge "but," I believe companies take way too much advantage of students and their wages. I "personally" know someone who worked harder than their boss and only got minimum wage! That's why they threw in the towel! What I also don't find acceptable is how companies are upping their requirements just so they can cut down on the applications they receive. Having actual experience in your field should speak louder than your school experience. There are also people who get stupid school major and complain that their schooling doesn't get them a job, and have to get a minimum wage job flippin burgers...cry about it...you should have chosen your field more wisely.
Times are changing...

gotta go...school calls.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are also people who get stupid school major and complain that their schooling doesn't get them a job, and have to get a minimum wage job flippin burgers...cry about it...you should have chosen your field more wisely.
Let me guess - you're in a discipline that is considered a "wise" choice. May I ask what discipline you're in before I thoroughly deconstruct and demonstrate the fallacious and ludicrous nature of your assertion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Oh my. This is getting interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Let me guess - you're in a discipline that is considered a "wise" choice. May I ask what discipline you're in before I thoroughly deconstruct and demonstrate the fallacious and ludicrous nature of your assertion?

I doesn't really matter what I'm in. The point is some people pay ludicrous amounts of money to earn a degree in the profession that they think they like, but then turn around and complain about not being able to find a job. A bachelors degree will cost the same no matter what degree you get, can you see how that might affect someone who is in a major that has a good job outcome compared to one that doesn't? It happens to students all the time! Now, obviously there are things that might come in someones way, like today's economy, but what are you seeing people doing? Going back to school...

You said you were going to, "thoroughly deconstruct and demonstrate the fallacious and ludicrous nature of your assertion." Please, go on. It's been talked over and over again on the news, schools boards, and D.o.E about how students blindly chose majors without thinking about the future. I want to hear your view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A free market would push employers to lower salaries in an effort to save money and maximise revenue. Look at how many employers pay their employees minimum wage? The reason is simple - it's the lowest wage they can pay their employees. If they could, they'd go lower.

An interesting point, and one that's certainly a liability of the system in some cases. Alternatively, many feel that a free market creates competition to provide lower priced goods, attract the best employees, rewards hard work instead of social background, and forces innovation and efficiency to remain competitive. Some also maintain it provides more choice to consumers (in order for ones goods/services to stand out from the crowd) and it rewards hard work instead of enforcing mediocrity (which can happen when even the minimum effort is guaranteed a reward). As has been noted, those who are stupid, lazy, or just horribly unlucky are often relagated to poverty and dissatisfaction.
To idrinor's point... Often times, those who to excel in areas that are less valued by a society, or areas that are over saturated with prospective workers, often do not receive what they feel to be fair compensation for their pursuits. Much as in nature, the underdog does not necessarily win and sometimes nice guys finish last. Intentionally gaining an increasing share in a shrinking market or mastering a skill set which people are unwilling to engage in trade for, is a poor choice unless someone feels the very act of pursuing that endeavor is reward enough. And in that case, where is the problem? Just my opinion, and I'm sure there are many others who would disagree. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
And in that case, where is the problem? Just my opinion, and I'm sure there are many others who would disagree. ;)

There is no problem with that at all. I actually agree with that part. I was just talking about people who automatically think they should get paid because they have a "degree."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
An interesting point, and one that's certainly a liability of the system in some cases. Alternatively, many feel that a free market creates competition to provide lower priced goods, attract the best employees, rewards hard work instead of social background, and forces innovation and efficiency to remain competitive. Some also maintain it provides more choice to consumers (in order for ones goods/services to stand out from the crowd) and it rewards hard work instead of enforcing mediocrity (which can happen when even the minimum effort is guaranteed a reward). As has been noted, those who are stupid, lazy, or just horribly unlucky are often relagated to poverty and dissatisfaction.
To idrinor's point... Often times, those who to excel in areas that are less valued by a society, or areas that are over saturated with prospective workers, often do not receive what they feel to be fair compensation for their pursuits. Much as in nature, the underdog does not necessarily win and sometimes nice guys finish last. Intentionally gaining an increasing share in a shrinking market or mastering a skill set which people are unwilling to engage in trade for, is a poor choice unless someone feels the very act of pursuing that endeavor is reward enough. And in that case, where is the problem? Just my opinion, and I'm sure there are many others who would disagree. ;)

Good point, I work for the Postal Service (heavily Unionized) filled with lazy union workers who feel they need a hand out.

The point I was trying to make about the no minimum wage , Is that it will drive competition between employers, Really if you look at it, How many employers out there actually pay minimum wage?? Yes There are some but not as many as you think. A lot of those places can actually turn into a career.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doesn't really matter what I'm in. The point is some people pay ludicrous amounts of money to earn a degree in the profession that they think they like, but then turn around and complain about not being able to find a job. A bachelors degree will cost the same no matter what degree you get, can you see how that might affect someone who is in a major that has a good job outcome compared to one that doesn't?
Not true. Degrees vary in price. A law degree costs considerably more than an arts degree. To be fair, this is also assuming you go to school in a jurisdiction where university prices are regulated and controlled (such as mine). My tuition for eight months of school is just under $6000 CAD. I'd say that is hardly a ludicrous amount for a degree. To be fair, that is a graduate tuition. Undergrad tuition in my discipline (education) is about $6300 CAD for the year. That's $6300 for the entire degree. I'd also point you to the tuition fees for my school, demonstrating that in fact, you are wrong in that tuition fees differ considerably across discipline. I'd encourage you to look at the fees for your school if you really think that fees are uniform across disciplines.

I also take issue with your "good job outcome" vs. "poor job outcome" divide. Many individuals in non-professional disciplines get good jobs. If they didn't, no one would enrol in those programs. In fact, certain professions are experiencing a glut of trained graduates (education being a prime example) so getting a professional degree may not help. Aside from that, there are a considerable number of jobs that do not require "skilled" degrees (that is in quotations on purposes) but require skills such as critical thinking, writing and other skills that come with pursuing non-professional degrees.

Now, obviously there are things that might come in someones way, like today's economy, but what are you seeing people doing? Going back to school...
I agree. My question is: what's your point? So, people go back to school. That doesn't devalue their first degree and the skills they learned there. These individuals are refining or adding new skills to the ones that they had previously learned. In a world where more and more people are getting university degrees, people need more to stand out. This is why graduate schools are seeing increased enrolment.

You said you were going to, "thoroughly deconstruct and demonstrate the fallacious and ludicrous nature of your assertion." Please, go on. It's been talked over and over again on the news, schools boards, and D.o.E about how students blindly chose majors without thinking about the future. I want to hear your view.
I'd love to do so. Before I do though, you need to clarify your last point when you state that people go back for "stupid majors". This is part of the reason I asked you what program you were in. I wanted to see how you delineated the difference between "stupid" programs and "non-stupid programs." It sure sounds like you're being pretentious in your argument. And might I ask why you decided to put degree in quotations above in your previous post? I'm going to assume that you are part of an academic culture and department that thinks their program is so much better than others.

That may or may not be the case (this isn't really the place for a comprehensive economic debate nor am I qualified to make general and informed conclusions about economics) but I would say that nothing you stated precludes the necessity of a minimum wage. In a completely free system (if this were to ever happen), I still believe that wages in certain industries at least would go down. They wouldn't drop to zero but I'm fairly certain that salaries at fast food chains for instance wouldn't increase substantially if at all. Fast food may only be one example but they are representative of the service sector which makes up a huge part of the economies of the Western world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may or may not be the case (this isn't really the place for a comprehensive economic debate nor am I qualified to make general and informed conclusions about economics) but I would say that nothing you stated precludes the necessity of a minimum wage. In a completely free system (if this were to ever happen), I still believe that wages in certain industries at least would go down. They wouldn't drop to zero but I'm fairly certain that salaries at fast food chains for instance wouldn't increase substantially if at all. Fast food may only be one example but they are representative of the service sector which makes up a huge part of the economies of the Western world.

Very true Van. My point was aimed more at the side bar of the free market discussion. Essentially, that a free market economy does not necessarily equate to bending the labor pool over as far and as often as possible. In fact, it's bad for business to do so. Additionally, I would suggest that a minimum wage is not the de facto necessity or guarantor of a fair days wage for a fair days work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I want to take a different view on this topic. There already has been talk here about people forking out a lot of cash for a degree and not being able to get a job from it. Heartbreaking I know. But my field of expertise is the trades.

All trades (chef-ing as I do is the same) require you go through a 3-4 year apprenticeship period. And during that period you don't have the luxury of studying full time. You have to study about one quarter of the time and the rest is working. And when you work you are given the worst jobs possible to do and cause you're the lowest ring of the ladder you get treated the worst. Also the pay is terrible. And often the hours stink too.

My point? I have to agree that the minimum wage set my the government (in Australia and probably other countries too) is so not equating to the work people do. I work my butt off in 12 hour shifts as do most tradies and most of us get really bad wages. While the CEO's of companies get more in one day then we get in a week and they sit on their leather seats, in their air-con rooms and just chit chat all day. Just proof the world is not fair.

Mind you in saying that TV shows like "Undercover Boss" do show that some bosses really try to understand how hard their workers work. And every boss no that show end up realising their workers work at least 3-5x harder then they (the boss) do. If it was a fair world the boss sitting in the comfy Air-com room would be paid one of the lowest wages in the company. Cause they certainly don't earn their 6-7 figure salaries.

But it's simple really. Those with the power to do so make them selves richer ad the expense of many many people below them. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's how the western economy has been run for a very long time. Not fair. But it's better then a Stalinist state I guess where you work where you are told or you are sent to the Gulag. Mind you Stalin did have 100% employment for his people though. But even that is not worth all the other horrors those dictatorship style governments place on the populace.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...But it's simple really. Those with the power to do so make them selves richer ad the expense of many many people below them. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's how the western economy has been run for a very long time. Not fair. But it's better then a Stalinist state I guess where you work where you are told or you are sent to the Gulag. Mind you Stalin did have 100% employment for his people though. But even that is not worth all the other horrors those dictatorship style governments place on the populace.

Better than the caste system and better than commie ruled countries that's for sure.

Reaction score
As many others are saying, if I'm in need of a job desperately and the minimum wage allows me to live i think i would work for it.
Nevertheless i will keep looking for a job while working for minimum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
As many others are saying, if I'm in need of a job desperately and the minimum wage allows me to live i think i would work for it.
Nevertheless i will keep looking for a job while working for minimum.

I think that's what everyone feels.

Minimum wage job or no job?
Most people would take the minimum wage.

Minimum wage job or a really high paying job?
Most people would take the higher paid job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.