Would running windows OS cause the mac to lag?

Reaction score
hey

im a student who wants to buy a macbook, but my school recommends tt i buy a levono thinkpad or a fujitsu because it naturally runs on windows and has better specs at a lower price. like 320GB of memory and 2.53GHz for abt 1.9k

so im wondering if it'll be smart to buy a macbook white at 1.8k and pay an addition of 200 bucks to run windows 7 on it too? would running on windows be slower than running on snow leopard on the macbook white?

the levovo and fujitsu notebooks would be a good buy, but if the macbook white can promise me the same speed, i'll take the macbook cos i love the os and the way it looks!

thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, it shouldn't. Not unless the disk space is within 20% of capacity. If you install Windows via Boot Camp, you'll split your drive into 2 partitions, each exclusive of the other. So, when you run Windows it would run just like it would on any other PC of a similar spec, and of course Mac OS X would be uneffected since the two don't run concurrently.

Now, if you decide to run Windows via virtualization, that's another story. But if you've got plenty of RAM, it should be a non-issue.

OP
E
Reaction score
if the ram is 4GB and the harddisk is 250GB, will having windows 7 os lag the mac, since it has to be partitioned?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on how much stuff you typically store and how much space you allocate to each partition. If you split the disk in half equally (125GB each) and the OS takes up about 10GB on each partition, you've got pretty ample space for each volume. But if you tend to store 100GB of other data/apps/files, that could be tight.

In summary, it's all about how you plan it out. As a guideline, if you keep each partition at less than 20% of capacity, you should be fine.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks

alright, i would like to enquiry abt the lenovo thinkpad, cos the memory is 2 times more and it's 2.66GHz can can go up to 3.06GHz and it'll be 400 bucks less than the mac. and the thinkpad has received good reviews.

so between the macbook white and the thinkpad, how? i mean i love the mac but the specs of the thinkpad is very enticing haha.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, to put it bluntly, you get what you pay for.

If you look at the total cost of ownership, the Mac is a bargain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.