Worth Upgrading a 2008 iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
… … Maybe a Mod can just delete the post altogether?

OT here: :Confused:
And maybe one of the admins or mods could explain or change why a member cannot even completely delete a post as I would have preferred to do when several post showed up as duplicates for some strange reason recently.

EDIT:
WOW!!! Type and blink for a minute and part is already taken care of.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OT here:
And maybe one of the admins or mods could explain or change why a member cannot even completely delete a post as I would have preferred to do when several post showed up as duplicates for some strange reason recently.

Giving members that type of permissions could lead to problems. I don't have to go into detail and explain why... imagine what a rogue spammer could do. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Giving members that type of permissions could lead to problems. I don't have to go into detail and explain why... imagine what a rogue spammer could do. ;D

I was only thinking that only members could completely delete their own unwanted or surplus posts, not any others if that's what you mean about spammers etc. having such control.

And I don't believe any regular member can even edit some other member's post, at least I sure don't know how. But I think it may have something to do with the size of the hat or something like that, or should that be the size of the stick??? :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We do allow members to edit their own posts within a certain time frame. However, allowing a member to delete their own post if it was the start of a thread and that thread had replies, will result in the removal of the entire thread. That's the way the forum software works. If a member wants to remove a post they made and it won't impact other replies, they can edit out the reply and enter "deleted". A staff member will then spot it and remove the post.

By the way, if you're familiar with other forums you know that's pretty much the way most forum software works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If a member wants to remove a post they made and it won't impact other replies, they can edit out the reply and enter "deleted". A staff member will then spot it and remove the post.

Now that's a pretty good solution that I sure didn't know about.

Thanks for the info.

And that's a lot more than some other similar forums I usually visit and post to can do.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
MSue, netiquette lesson #3. Don't post garbage as a placeholder. You edited the cross-post with random keys, not as RadDave suggested with "DELETED." That's not helpful. If you had put "deleted," then readers would know that the post was deleted, not just garbaged up.

Maybe a Mod can just delete the post altogether?

Taken care of. Thanks Jake.

Thanks Jake for your comments - my original hope was that a mod would come along and simply delete the post, as was done - thanks Chscag - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another BIG reason why members on internet forums cannot delete their own posts is...sometimes some members decide they want all thier posts that they ever composed deleted. Can you imagine someone with hundreds or thousands of posts all of a sudden deleting all of their posts?? Many threads would become completely nonsensical since much of the thread content would be missing. Now imagine multiple members doing this over the course of time...much of the "historical" information on a forum would be missing/lost.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another BIG reason why members on internet forums cannot delete their own posts is..

Good valid point Nick, and I guess I must learn to keep telling myself that there are some without any proper ethics at all out in this big world.

The use of "Duplicate" or any other secret word that exists seems like a good idea, but does add some work for the mods if they don't mind.

But it's not too common I don't think, at least from what we normal ordinary members can actually see.

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

Nick, I was mod of a site where that exact event occurred. We had a user who was very helpful and funny, but he decided that he was going to leave. Before he left, he systematically erased every post he ever made, which means we lost all of that wisdom. If we restored from backups, he'd repeat the deletes. We eventually gave up and let him disappear.

He called it "fading away" and was quite insistent on doing it. It was very sad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds terrible Jake. As you said...so much wisdom lost!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.