Worth getting a MacBook when I have these...?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Of course, it should be noted that a G3-based notebook in the year 2011 is roughly equivalent to having a piece of paper, a calculator, a rubik's cube and a copy of Playboy in terms of modern functionality.

A G3 is pretty bad these days, but not quite a calculator yet. You can do Word Processing and some internet on them still! :D

Where did the playboy magazine come in though?

Also a Rubik's Cube is pretty fun! :D

C

chas_m

Each item in my comparison equates to a modern most-used function of a computer. I admit I forgot to include a deck of playing cards and a mirror in my list.

So we have piece of paper (word processing and email), the mirror (facebook, twitter), a calculator (office and math stuff), a deck of playing cards (solitaire), a rubik's cube (games) and ... well I'm sure you've figured the rest out by now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, that makes sense. Now I know where you are coming from. :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hrmm what you're asking is a big thing, to switch from pc to mac when my laptop would need replacing.

Here's one problem: MacBooks are so expensive. My current gaming laptop has a 500gb hardrive and 4gb ram. Same as a mbp worth £1,300. The exact price my laptop was 2 years ago. Games are getting bigger in file size. I'd either pay a 2 year old spec again, or pay a silly amount to get 250gb extra space. Not going to happen I'm afraid for gaming.

I know you mean well, but I could never switch from pc to mac for gaming, which is my main use.

I think you misunderstood my input. I only suggest a Mac if you think Windows isn't meeting your needs anymore. I first said to stick with what you have if it is still working for you and it sounds like it is. You don't sound enthusiastic about getting a Mac, so don't get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
If you want to test the waters with a mac, check your local library or community college. They will most likely have newer units to try. Also, you can pick up an iBook for $130 from cowboom or from the buy and sell forum here. Thats how I made the switch. I made the big jump to a MBP 3 weeks ago, and have never looked back.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...is roughly equivalent to having a piece of paper, a calculator, a mirror, a deck of playing cards, a rubik's cube and a copy of Playboy in terms of modern functionality.

Hmmm...I remember those days back when I was like 12 years old (especially the magazine)!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you want to test the waters with a mac, check your local library or community college. They will most likely have newer units to try.

Those are some GREAT "Free" suggestions!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my input. I only suggest a Mac if you think Windows isn't meeting your needs anymore. I first said to stick with what you have if it is still working for you and it sounds like it is. You don't sound enthusiastic about getting a Mac, so don't get one.

But your input has helped me!

See I've been talking to a friend who owns a mac, plus I've had a good think about it. I'm about 80% sure I want to buy an iMac when my pc laptop is showing age. I'll have the windows side for gaming, and mac side for designing/drawing etc. Im happy with this method, I've even picked out which iMac I want, although by the time I want one the specs are likely to change lol.

I didn't want to go back to desktops but the iMac doesn't have that bulky tower taking up space I need. It's a sleek sexy monitor with everything inside.

Oh and for the record I've used macs before. I had to in the art courses I've done. It was the first time I used them, and I admit I got annoyed. Likely because the college ones were so **** slow. Some of their mice didn't have the scroll button which did annoy me, as did the change of shortcut commands.

I'm not the best tech person, infact I'm average. Ive had viruses on pcs that have forced me to reformat. There's still things in the technical aspect I still don't understand. Macs look so much friendlier. I spent 2 years with them, and yes I hated them at first but only for small things typical of someone so used to pcs.

I most certainly may take the switch, but I won't leave beloved windows behind. It'll be living within the mac, living like a happy couple :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.