WireLurker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
First thing you need is an infected AppStore :)
If you are careful and only connect to the AppStore via the app. on your Mac, then the probability of this happening to you is low.
I would never trust URL based links to the Appstore in the first place.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Good find Craig.
People installing apps from untrusted sources will be hacked and ( as far as I am concerned ) deserve to be hacked.
Common sense will protect people from a lot of bad things.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Note the bit from Apple about 'pirated apps'.

Nothing has changed in the past five or six years. Use pirated software at your own risk.

M

MacInWin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Seen many on the TV refer to it as a Virus, when in fact its more of a traditional Trojan Horse. The user must install it before it can infect the system. So if you are downloading pirated software, its best to scan it before installing the software to make sure something else isn't getting installed at the same time.

So no one needs to worry about their system if they use trusted download sights and the Apple App Store. It can not infect your system from sharing media, closest it comes is the part of the software that infects your phones when you plug it into an infected computer.

Also to note this is very similar to the same software the CIA has used in the past to spy on people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.