wireless mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
I have a wireless mouse with my new iMac. How long does it take to charge up the batter? I left the muse on the USB hub all night and that didn't do it. Sigh me 'confused'.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
I can't spell either

Reaction score
...did you connect it to the hub with the cable ? Was the hub connected to a power source ? The iMac USB may not be powered if it is shutdown. El Capitan had reports of USB ports being unpowered in sleep mode... Try using a phone charger !

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
I used the cable that came with the mouse. The hub is connected because other devices are plugged into the same hub and they are working fine. Not sure what you mean about a phone charger. Shouldn't an overnight charge be enough?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The USB ports should continue to provide power if the Mac is in sleep mode. If you are using a powered hub (plugs into an electrical outlet) the hub also needs to be plugged into a Mac's USB ports.

If this is the current Apple wireless mouse there is a small switch on the underside. In addition to making sure the cord is properly connected to the port and mouse slide the switch to the off position when you want it to charge. The mouse certainly should be fully charged overnight and usually charges in a few hours.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Slydude,
The hub is plugged into one of the USB ports on the computer. The only thing that I didn't do was turn the slide switch on the back of mouse to off.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@earley

The mouse charges very rapidly. When almost exhausted, a 30 minute charge will you give you a few hours of use. A full charge should take no longer than 3-4 hours. So something is amiss.

I strongly advise plugging the USB directly to the Mac rather than a hub.

Whilst fully acknowleging Slydude's advice re switching off the mouse, I have to admit never having done this and never found that a problem.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's good to know Ian. For some reason, the last time I checked, mine did not seem to be charging with the switch in the on position. I'll have to try it again. I've had good luck charging it from a hub but it's entirely possible that some hubs do not work well for that.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
IWT
I now have the mouse charge tied to one of the USB ports on the computer

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As a proof of concept, after posting, I looked at my mouse and it showed 22%.

I've had it on charge since my last post which is about 90 minutes ago, and it now shows 74%. It's that quick. And that's how it should be, earley. Good luck to you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why USB? my iMac connects these devices to Thunderbolt and about 30 minutes does it or are you referring to Thunderbolt/USB?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
For some reason everything is working. Thank you all for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why USB? my iMac connects these devices to Thunderbolt and about 30 minutes does it or are you referring to Thunderbolt/USB?

They're the same Harry. All the new Thunderbolt ports are USB compatible. The latest MacBook Pros have Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 ports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.