Wireless keyboard functions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC i7 3.1Ghz 16mb RAM 250gb SSD
I received my new iMAC yesterday with it's wireless (UK) keyboard. (Yosermite)
Is there an idiots guide to the function keys? It took me quite a while just to find out how to delete so I'm looking for just the basic functions having been used to a Windows keyboard and a Linux Mint OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I received my new iMAC yesterday with it's wireless (UK) keyboard. (Yosermite)
Is there an idiots guide to the function keys? It took me quite a while just to find out how to delete so I'm looking for just the basic functions having been used to a Windows keyboard and a Linux Mint OS.

Hello - I'm using a US keyboard (typing on my MBPro at the moment and the KB is similar to the one shown below) - if present, the pics on the keys pretty much explain the functions: F1/2 adjusts screen brightness; F3 opens Mission Control; F4 opens Launchpad; F5/6 adjusts keyboard back lighting; F7-9 control AV; and F10-12 mute sound or control its volume.

Now if your F keys have no pics, they might still correspond to the above uses - not sure; and keep in mind that if you go to System Preferences -> Keyboard, the function keys can be programmed to some extent. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 12.44.18 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, That's a start.
F5 & F6 do something different (?)
The key under esc has different markings (§) what's that???
Top right is also different (shows arrow up with a line underneath)
Also not sure of the 4 keys bottom left.
(Computer is an all-in-one desktop iMAC)

The magic mouse did come with a function explanation, just a pity the keyboard did not.
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Dave, That's a start.
F5 & F6 do something different (?)
The key under esc has different markings (§) what's that???
Top right is also different (shows arrow up with a line underneath)
Also not sure of the 4 keys bottom left.

Hi Chris - I believe that your KB is like the one shown below - correct? Not sure what your F5/6 keys do, if anything (of course, they probably can be programmed as I suggested in my first post, i.e. look @ the KB in System Preferences).

The 'top right' key (blue arrow I added) is the 'Eject' symbol - is your 'new' Mac the most recent model or a refurbished one? Usually that button would be used to eject an optical disc (either w/ a built-in or an external drive) - newer iMacs do not have optical drives.

The lower 4 bottom left keys are the same as on my KB, i.e. Fn, Control, Alt (Option), & Command - these are used in various combinations w/ other keys as KB shortcuts - just google a few of those terms, e.g. one example that I use constantly is CMD-SHIFT-4 to do a screen capture of an image which allows cropped selection.

Finally, the 'Double S' sign is the Section Sign - follow the link - I'm assuming on your KB that it is an additional 'combo' key. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 5.35.54 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave.
Enough to get on with.
It's a brand new iMAC with usb "superdrive" and a mouse that's almost human!!!
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.