Wireless adapter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a PC guy, but I have a friend with a G4 Power Mac, and she wants wireless internet.

My question is what kind of products are available for Macs to access wireless A/G networks? I'm looking through my normal PC brands, like Linksys, and I don't see any mac support. I'd like to find a USB adapter if possible. The inside of the power mac looks a little different- the 'PCI' white slots look different, and I don't know the terminology...so, I don't want to buy the incorrect product.

Recommendations and online store suggestions appreciated...thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Do you know what model G4 it is? A lot of them came with ports for an internal Apple Airport card. These cost about $100 now since they stopped making them, but they will probably be your best solution with the best range since the PowerMac is pre-wired with an antennae to use with the Airport card.

OP
L
Reaction score
All I have for information on the computer is that it is a G4 OSX 10.4.2.

Internally there were several available 'pci' slots (again, not sure if that is the right terminology).

Is there more specific information that I should provide? What are you looking for?

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
This will work for a USB connection:
http://afterthemac.com/
Don't be afraid of the insides of the Mac! Those are real live PCI slots and the Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 card will install easily. The Mac's built in Airport drivers will recognize it, even though the Buffalo spec sheets say absolutely nothing about Mac support. It works perfectly!

OP
L
Reaction score
This will work for a USB connection:
http://afterthemac.com/
Don't be afraid of the insides of the Mac! Those are real live PCI slots and the Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 card will install easily. The Mac's built in Airport drivers will recognize it, even though the Buffalo spec sheets say absolutely nothing about Mac support. It works perfectly!

Thanks for the product suggestions. I think I'm going to go for the Buffalo card that you suggested, but it still makes me nervous that MAC support isn't listed on the product page! However, I trust you, random-mac-internet-stranger-person, and because of that trust and because I don't know what else to do, I'll buy that product.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Check this google: buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 macintosh support
First up is a review on Amazon, where you will find several more "random mac internet strangers" who have successfully used it!

OP
L
Reaction score
Check this google: buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 macintosh support
First up is a review on Amazon, where you will find several more "random mac internet strangers" who have successfully used it!

Yeah, I did check that out before purchasing it. Thanks for the help again, it looks like it should be no problem to get it working.

I also bought a buffalo WHR-G54S router to extend her wireless network. Hopefully everything works out ok, I'll let you know the results. Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.