Windows Vista on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
Im currently a PC user and planning on getting the Macbook 2.0 GHZ and I saw a video on YouTube of a guy running Vista RC1 on Macbook 1.8 using bootcamp.

Is it possible to run the original Vista on the Macbook 2.0 using bootcamp?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yes, but I would not, nor would anybody else here, recommend using windows as your primary operating system on a mac, if you are going to use windows or vista on your system all the time, then get a pc not a mac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi. I never said I want Windows to be primary system :) I just want it for my Windows applications which cant run on Mac OS. I figured since I can have Windows on my Mac, why not let it be vista.

So it is possible huh. Thats good, howcome its not on the Apple website? They only mention Windows XP SP 2 for some reason?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi. I never said I want Windows to be primary system :) I just want it for my Windows applications which cant run on Mac OS. I figured since I can have Windows on my Mac, why not let it be vista.

So it is possible huh. Thats good, howcome its not on the Apple website? They only mention Windows XP SP 2 for some reason?
Vista is not officially supported by the driver disc that BootCamp creates. BootCamp is also still in beta.
Basically it would work with Vista because Windows doesn't change drastically between upgrades, some of the drivers will still work.
Keep in mind that Apple won't even offer support for XP, so if something doesn't work in Vista, there isn't much you could do about it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But wont I get my support automatically from Microsoft? I mean doesnt the Windows on Mac act entirely like the Windows on a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
But wont I get my support automatically from Microsoft? I mean doesnt the Windows on Mac act entirely like the Windows on a PC?
Herin lies the conundrum. I have heard of people trying to contact Microsoft with assistance for XP running via BootCamp/Parallels and being swiftly shuffled off and told by the MS rep to "call Apple".
Obviously, Apple won't and can't support an OS that isn't theirs, so they will tell you to call the proper channels... that being Microsoft.

Rinse.
Repeat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it's a driver issue, then no, Microsoft won't provide support as the burden of responsibility falls on the manufacturer of the hardware, which in this case would be Apple, and since Apple directly stipulates that it won't support Windows via Boot Camp, you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place :bomb:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info guys. Other than that, the Mac bootcamp Windows acts entirely as the PC Windows right? Meaning any application that runs on the PC Windows will run on the Mac Windows right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What Boot Camp essentially does is create a partition on your hard drive where you install Windows, so it's a full featured version running natively, just like Windows does on your PC. So anything you can do on your PC, you can do with Windows running via Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thanks for the info guys. Other than that, the Mac bootcamp Windows acts entirely as the PC Windows right? Meaning any application that runs on the PC Windows will run on the Mac Windows right?
Yes, Windows is Windows is Windows is Windows.
There is no "PC" or Mac.
The Windows OS is an entity all its own.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.