Windows Only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2GHz 1GB RAM 120GB HDD
Hey All,

Is there a way to install only XP / Vista on a MacBook? Just one partition on the drive without OS X. Are the drivers available?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why would you want to do that?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought my MacBook primarily for aesthetics and with the intention to run Windows. I am dual booting with boot camp, but I want to free up the extra ~30 GB that OS X is using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To be honest, I think that's absolutely a ridiculous idea. There are plenty of nice looking PC laptops. The whole allure of Mac computers is the operating system. It's like buying a Benz and changing all the inside parts to that of a Kia.

Now, there IS a way. In most computers, it generally involves partition software, but it's not so simple with a Mac since Boot Camp is what makes the choosing part work. Gonna have to look around to find a way to keep Boot Camp's magic from disappearing with OS X.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm sure it can be done, but really it just seems like putting the v-8 from a mustang into a corvette. they can both work very well in their own hardware, and the issues you'll face running either engine in the other vehicle would seem to outweigh any superficial benefits.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X is nice, but the issue is that a lot of my applications I often use are tightly integrated with Windows. Since I bought my MacBook, I find myself most of the time booting into Windows. I feel like I have to "force" myself to like OS X. I prefer Windows because it does work for me; in fact, really well. I have never had issues with viruses/spyware/crashing/blue screen/etc that other people may have experienced.

I went with this laptop for aesthetics because I just was not able to find anything that remotely looked as sexy as this machine. With my student discount, this laptop was a better deal than most of the other brands.

I know I can use the Windows CD to reformat the drive clean, but my main issue is drivers and getting everything working. Boot camp does a good job of hiding all that, but I will need those individual drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I want to free up the extra ~30 GB that OS X is using.

This can be done rather easily in 10 simple steps.

Step 1: Get your restore discs and your original packaging (you'll need it)

Step 2: Back up all of your important files on your MacBook. Make sure to keep anything that you don't want to lose.

Step 3: After you have backed up your files, insert your MacBook restore disc and reboot while holding down the 'C' key.

Step 4: When the machine boots, go to Disk Utility and erase the HD. Then create one partition. Choose the HFS+ option (this is important). Keep in mind, doing this is going to wipe your drive clean, removing anything that is currently on it, so again, I hoped you backed up your important info.)

Step 5: When the disk is clean, reboot again with the MacBook restore disc in the drive while holding down the 'C' key.

Step 6: When the installer comes up, choose your HD and install all of the original OS files and software that came on the MacBook when you first received it.

Step 7: When the OS/Software restoration is complete, shut down the computer.

Step 8: After the computer is shut down, carefully repack the computer in the original packaging that you were sure to gather up in Step 1.

Step 9: If it has been less than 14 days since you purchased the computer, call up Apple or take it to the Apple Store you purchased it from and let them know you would like to return the computer. You will be charged a restocking fee, but that is minimal.

If it has been more than 14 days since you purchased the computer, take out an ad in the local newspaper or set up an auction on craigslist or eBay to sell your MacBook to the highest bidder.

Step 10: Go to www.dell.com and configure yourself a new Windows-based notebook. Then order that notebook and Dell will ship it directly to your door. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not that simple. You can't just simply stick the Windows CD in and have it install.

Macs use something called EFI. Think of it as another version of a BIOS. The problem is that Windows XP won't boot on a machine with EFI, only a BIOS. So you need a program that allows you to install Windows on an EFI machine, which in this case would be Boot Camp.

Getting drivers is easy. The Boot Camp Assistant creates a driver disc that you install after installing Windows. You can use these drivers once you install Windows on your Mac.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would I want to return this? I love the computer, just not the OS.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I installed with Boot Camp, then used a partitioning software to remove OS X and allocate that space back to the main partition, would that cause issues with the EFI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Theoretically, yes. You still need Boot Camp to let you boot into Windows.

I've been doing some searches on Google and I haven't found anything yet. I'll keep looking though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In all seriousness, Kash is right. Windows XP cannot boot onto a machine with EFI. Mac OS X uses Boot Camp to create a sort of 'false' BIOS that Windows XP can read and boot from. Without OS X installed, Windows XP won't be able to boot.

Boot Camp wasn't intended or created to allow someone to exclusively use Windows on a Mac. It was designed for the person who might need to occasionally run one or two Windows programs. It isn't meant for full-time use. If you need Windows full-time or if you simply prefer to use Windows full-time, then get what the job calls for... a Windows-based computer.

The only reason a person should get a Mac is if they want to use the included OS, in my opinion. That is what makes a Mac a Mac, not the shiny case it is in.
There are plenty of Mac knock-offs and look-alikes out there that you can buy and install Windows on (and they cost a lot less money than a Mac).

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT..._VAIONotebookComputers_NSeries&Dept=computers

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/08/haseenotes-jive-w205r-core-duo-macbook-clone-for-korea/

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/general/macbook-alike_breaks_cover

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ladies and gentlemen, Kash has come to the rescue!!!

After doing a bit of searching, I found this little tidbit. Apple included a "little" change in its latest firmware for its Mac computers. You can simply just pop in a Windows disc into your Mac and load the setup process by holding "c" to boot from the CD.

I actually wanted to try this out before I posted here. I got all the way up to the partition selection screen before quitting the setup process (unlike you, I like OS X :bomb:). It shows you the entire hard drive. So all you would have to do is create a Windows compatible partition and you should be set.

The only thing you should do first is load Boot Camp to create the driver disc. That way you'll have all your specific Mac's drivers in one convenient location to install once you finish setting up Windows on your Mac.

Hope this works out for you, despite my reservations ;)

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips Kash. Don't get me wrong, OS X is a great operating system (light years ahead of XP and even Vista), but the sad realization is ... the world revolves around Windows, and so do many of my daily apps that I use. I am going to try out what you found, but I was also reading around, and found out that OS X is essential for any possible future firmware updates. I may now just have Boot Camp, but on the smallest possible partition.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ladies and gentlemen, Kash has come to the rescue!!!

After doing a bit of searching, I found this little tidbit. Apple included a "little" change in its latest firmware for its Mac computers. You can simply just pop in a Windows disc into your Mac and load the setup process by holding "c" to boot from the CD.

That actually is very sad news! Thanks Kash for the info though. To me, a Mac is for OSX. Windows on a Mac should only be for RARE usage of a needed application. If you need Windows for most of your work, you will be much better off with a Windows Laptop. Sorry but that is how I feel. Seems most people here feel that way.

Good luck.

EDIT: Kash is right. I got out my XP Pro SP2 full install for my Gaming system and put it in the drive of my Core Duo Mini. Held "C" and it booted right up. Sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's sad, but I would much rather prefer this guy get the information he needs from this place which has such a great reputation for friendly members rather than have everybody just ridicule him for his decision.

Plus, I learned something too :black:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the tips Kash. Don't get me wrong, OS X is a great operating system (light years ahead of XP and even Vista), but the sad realization is ... the world revolves around Windows, and so do many of my daily apps that I use. I am going to try out what you found, but I was also reading around, and found out that OS X is essential for any possible future firmware updates. I may now just have Boot Camp, but on the smallest possible partition.

What kind of apps are you running? Maybe we can suggest OS X-based alternatives? Have you considered running your Windows-based apps in Parallels? I mean, considering the limitations of the Mac keyboard and single mouse button, it would seem to me to be a giant pain to use a Macbook to run Windows just for the sheer asethetics of the MacBook itself.

Personally, if I could run OS X on something other than Apple hardware, I probably would have gone that route. Sure, my MBP looks pretty, but I think form should always follow function - and in that regard, the Apple hardware is lacking (IMO).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know it's sad, but I would much rather prefer this guy get the information he needs from this place which has such a great reputation for friendly members rather than have everybody just ridicule him for his decision.

Plus, I learned something too :black:

Agreed completely. Great job Kash. I was not down at all at what you did, just sad about native booting of XP on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need to find or make a smily with one yellow dude holding his hand out and another putting rep in :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.