Windows on unsupported mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2012, 2.5 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Dual 25" Displays
Hi guys,

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 running OSX 10.6.8 that I need to put windows on. I have partitioned the disk and downloaded all drivers from apple. The thing is, I have a copy of windows 8 pro sitting around and would rather not pay 100 bucks for a copy of windows 7, and after doing a little research, found that you can indeed put windows 8 an unsupported computer. So, I inserted the disk, restarted holding alt, and selected the disk on the startup page. However, I get a dos page that says, 1. 2. Select CD-ROM Boot Type. The keyboard does not work, and I cannot do anything except shut the computer down.

So, I downloaded windows 7 as an iso image from Microsoft without the product keys and burned it to a disk. I repeated the process, but got the same message as before. Both of the versions are 64 bit, is this my issue? Or is it a matter of an unsupported computer? I'm thinking of buying windows 7 or 8 in 32 bit which I would prefer not to do, but if its the only way to get it working... Perhaps there's a way around the dos page?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding is that your Mac Pro does not support the 64 bit versions of Windows in the same way you can only upgrade that machine to Lion. Mac Pro 1,1 firmware is 32 bit.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I bet that is part of the problem. IIRC that was the primary reason that machine does not support OS X beyond 10.7.5.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2012, 2.5 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Dual 25" Displays
I bet that is part of the problem. IIRC that was the primary reason that machine does not support OS X beyond 10.7.5.

Thanks guys, I'll use Windows 7 32 bit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.