Windows Migration Assistant failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
Hello there

I'm just bought an iMac and set it up yesterday. I had followed the instructions on the WMA utility and disabled Windows Automatic Updates but after almost 2 hours the process froze. I waited over an hour but realised that something was wrong so quit the process.

I seem to have only migrated my iTunes library to the Mac; no email, pictures or documents which is disappointing. I've tried to work out what went wrong and the only thing I can think of is that my PC's anti-virus looked for updates and interrupted the migration process.

So what I need to find out now is: can I simply run WMA again and exclude my music as I've now already got this on the Mac? If I do this am I going to cause myself even more problems?

Sorry if this is a "user error" / "user ignorance" problem and any help or advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks - Robert

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think that will work. Ut has been a while since I helped someone with that utility so perhaps someone else can give you a more definitive answer.

You may be right about the anti virus software being part of the problem. Before running the Migration Assistant again I'd try turning off the anti virus software if possible.

Reaction score
Your music isn't vital and you can always fish the files from the iTunes folder directly, so yes disable the anti-virus. In fact anything that might interrupt, and run Migration Assistant again with the iTunes unselected.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
Hi Slydude and rubaiyat

I've repeated the Windows Migration Assistant process again with both Windows Update and my ant-virus switched off and it seemed to go OK.

I've noticed that I now have another account on my desktop which I can open, but when I open Finder to check what's actually been migrated the only files I can find are those that are in Downloads on my old PC.

I still don't see the documents, photos and email information that I had asked to be migrated to the iMac. Any suggestions on what I should do next please?

Robert

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.