Windows Installation Issues- Mac gone??Amateur

Reaction score
Hi, so i tried to download windows xp on my mac mini using boot camp...i did everything it told me to do, then all of a sudden it rebooted and now i just get a message saying “press any key to boot the disc..._”. So i restarted the computer and held down option (alt) and the only hardrive that comes up is the windows one with that message on it...HELP!!! its a brand new mac mini but i so i have no important files...i just want my mac back.:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Which Mac Mini do you have? If it's a new one (not used and new to you), you will not be able to install XP using the Boot Camp assistant. A new Mac Mini will only be able to run Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

We need to know specifics: Year and model of your Mac Mini and which version of OS X it's running? Also, when you restart the Mini do not hold down the Option key. Let it boot normally and tell us what happens. I suggest doing a NVRAM reset first before restarting.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok thankyou very much for this...ah i believe its a model from 2012 (used)? when i dont hold option it come up with “press any key to boot disc”

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
i also tried resetting the NVRAM and nothing happened it just restarted, went grey for a while, and then went straight to “press any key to boot disc”. The windows xp installation disc is still inside the mac and i cant get it out

OP
T
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Which Mac Mini do you have? If it's a new one (not used and new to you), you will not be able to install XP using the Boot Camp assistant. A new Mac Mini will only be able to run Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

We need to know specifics: Year and model of your Mac Mini and which version of OS X it's running? Also, when you restart the Mini do not hold down the Option key. Let it boot normally and tell us what happens. I suggest doing a NVRAM reset first before restarting.

ok so now when i start the computer, no key combonations work at all??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since it's 2012 it should have a Restore Partition. Try booting up holding Command+R. Keep them down till it starts to boot then wait. Let us know if you can get to there.

Also does this Mini have a DVD drive or not?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also does this Mini have a DVD drive or not?

His problem is that the Windows XP CD is stuck in the optical drive of the Mini and each time he tries to boot it goes to the CD. In any event, he can't install XP to a 2012 Mini using Boot Camp. Only 7, 8, or 8.1 is going to work.

@tsubodai1162:

Hold down your mouse button and reboot and keep holding it. That should eject the CD. Once the CD is ejected you can then try a restart normally. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.