Windows do not come forward as in past OS, when new one is open, or clicked on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
Since upgrading to OS 14.2.1, when I have several windows open, clicking on one no longer brings it to the front. Very annoying. Is there a fix for that??

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's odd. In all my years of using Macs that action has always been a given. I'm not aware of any setting that alters that function unless...Are you referring to windows of the same application?
If so the the "Bring all to front" option may be the answer.

To use the "Bring All to Front" feature on Mac, follow these steps:

1. Ensure that you have multiple windows open for the desired application that you want to bring to the front.

2. Go to the application’s icon in the dock. You can typically find the dock at the bottom of your Mac’s screen.

3. Right-click (or Control-click) on the application’s icon in the dock. A context menu will appear.

4. In the context menu, you should see an option labeled "Bring All to Front" or a similar variation. Click on this option.

5. Instantly, all open windows associated with that application will be brought to the front, allowing you to access and work with them without manually searching or rearranging.

On my 14" MBP I tend to have all windows expanded to their maximum size (not Full Screen) and use Mission Control to swap between open windows and other desktops. Shrinking a couple of windows so the open windows behind are visible clicking on one brings it to the front as expected.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Since upgrading to OS 14.2.1, when I have several windows open, clicking on one no longer brings it to the front. Very annoying. Is there a fix for that??

Rod's detailed reply should sort out your problem.

As to the cause - I just wonder if you are using/have multiple Desktops? If that were so, then you often need to Click on the Window you want up front, two times.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.