Windows chime at startup...and no Windows!?

Reaction score
I LOVE our new iMac but am having fits with trying to install Windows. I originally tried to install XP (without SP2.....I know, I know....) and encountered a host of problems. I bought an original XP disk w/ SP2 from EBay; seemed like there were no problems installing it except for a couple of glitches which required removing the XP install disk and reinserting it, but I got all the way through and was even able to install the Mac drivers. Then my iMac would NOT restart and wouldn't even turn on without me inserting the Mac installation disk. As soon as I restart (holding down the option key), it tries to boot into Windows and I hear the familiar chime (scary, since I deleted the Windows partition!) and I'm wondering if there isn't some leftover corrupted portion of XP from the original wrong installation. At this point, I don't care if I have Windows in this machine or not....I just want to be able to reboot without the **** chime and go right into the Mac home screen! Do you think I need to reinstall the Mac OS or is there any easier way? (Disk utility did not help, BTW.) Thanks in advance.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I need to figure out exactly what you've done. Try rebooting your Mac and holding down the "Option" key. Are you able to boot into OS X that way?

If you can boot to OS X with the Option key, go into System Preferences, Startup Disk, and choose OS X as your startup.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
I need to figure out exactly what you've done. Try rebooting your Mac and holding down the "Option" key. Are you able to boot into OS X that way?

If you can boot to OS X with the Option key, go into System Preferences, Startup Disk, and choose OS X as your startup.

Let us know.

Regards.
I can boot into the Mac OS if I hold the option key down BUT as soon as the system restarts, I hear the Windows chime. In System preferences, the Mac OS was already the chosen startup disk. Windows is not installed and there is no space partitioned for it; that's one reason this is so confounding.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.