Windows 7 is not reading hard drive from mac

Reaction score
The hard drive of my Mac (early 2011) had gone wrong once and I replaced it with a new one. Recently, my poor Mac was dropped from high and stopped running. So I took out the hard drive and inserted into my Windows 7. (My Win7 has two hard drives, a SSD for booting and a HDD for storage). What I did was to unplugged the HDD and plugged the Mac hard drive on it. It physically fit the plugins well and Win 7 runs well since the operating system is on SSD. However, Win 7 does not read any data from the Mac hard drive though it recognized the hard drive indicating from the Disk Management window. Anyone can help me with this? Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As I understand it your Win 7 install can see the drive but not read the data. That suggests the drive may be OK and the problem is with drive formatting. If this was the boot drive for your Mac it was formatted As Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Windows cannot read the content of Mac OS formatted disks unless you use a third party extension. Give Paragon Software's HFS+ For Windows 10 a try.

Pay no attention to the name. The system requirements say it works with Windows 7. There is a 10 day demo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.