Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit on Macbook

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not sure which version of windows 7 I should install on my Macbook, it is the normal MacBook with 2gb of ram etc, the newest version.Would there be any advantage of installing 64-bit windows 7 over 32 bit windows on this machine? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right now, the only advantage to installing the 64 bit version of Windows 7 is if you have more than 3 GB of memory to use in Windows. Since most mainstream Windows programs are still 32 bit (the same for games) and the lack of 64 bit drivers for certain hardware still exists, it might be a good idea to stick with the 32 bit version of Windows 7 for now.

Later on when 64 bit everything becomes the mainstream, you can just break out your 64 bit DVD and install. The bad part is that you can not upgrade from 32 to 64 bit Windows. It requires a clean install.

Your choice. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
Jimmyt

I just finished upgrading mine to 4gb. I found it a little slow in windows 7 for my taste. It is much better now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
I would get the 64bit to take full advantage of your ram upgrade. I've been running it for a while and it works great especially that it is now fully supported by apple

Reaction score
I've upgraded to 4GB of RAM and found the 64-bit version is just better. I tend to run in Windows 7 instead of using a VM for both. Also when running Win7 native I use an 8GB flash drive with an NTFS partition for the Readyboost. With Superfetch enabled it loads programs very quickly and reduces HD access by a noticable amount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.