• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

"Windows 10"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I'm actually one of the few who prefers GNOME 3 (I'll just go and hide now)...

GNOME 3 has some good features. I just preferred the original layout. Much like OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I remember having to configure X manually. The good ol days...wait, no, not the good ol days. ;)

Sorry, those WERE the "good ol' days." Nothing better for a nerd than Saturday or day off, with massive rain or cold outside the window so you didn't have to feel guilty about being inside on a nice day. A cup of hot chocolate, sitting far away from the keyboard that was hooked to your own parts built system, and a black screen with with white lettering that was totally incomprehensible to most other people.

Back then you could actually fix bad code that was delivered, rather than only having the option to relieve your frustrations by posing a rant in a forum. It might take a while, and a long while, but it grew your knowledge and gave great satisfaction.

Now we click on an app, install it and either dump it or wait for the patches to come out - hopefully.

Hmmm… I may talk myself into installing Debian on my Mac.

Reaction score
My Dell PC had the Windows XP Home Edition installed on it. I tried to install XP Professional, and now it says that there is an error, and the 'blue screen of death' is coming up. I cannot access Home Edition anymore as it was in the middle of installing the Professional Edition, and that can be selected as the only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi Mehak50

You probably need to start a new post about this just so more would give their input. In my opinion, I would say the only option at this point is a fresh install of XP - which is an old WIndows version. Updates for it where discontinued earlier this year although I will tell you I have a laptop I haven't upgraded because all it does is run one program for one printer and it keeps getting updates.

Dells can be very picky when upgraded and can require a Dell upgrade disk. I found this to be true back in the XP days. But I have recently upgraded a Dell from XP to Windows 7. I had to install a new hard drive because the old one was failing. Works great now. How old it the Dell?

XP does not contain the drivers that 7 does and that can cause all kinds of issues. Usually a blue screen means bad or absent driver or bad memory or bad motherboard component. or even a bad hard drive.

What happens when you start the install? What is the error message? Usually there is a "stop error 0x0.... - bunch of zeros and a couple of letters or number and letter. It would be helpful to know that as it will indicate where to start looking.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.