Windows 10 - Please Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I could really use some assistance. I've purchased Window's 10, I put it on a formatted external hard drive (after splitting the HD so that way I can use it as a backup for my Mac) and I've tried to boot from the external. I've been looking online and clearly I've done something wrong - but I can't figure out how to get it to boot from the external. I know how to boot from an external - that's easy. I just can't boot from this external. I suspect that there is more I need to do after putting Windows on the external. I've been googling but nothing seems to help.

So, could anyone try to assist me? I'm pretty lost on what to do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect that there is more I need to do after putting Windows on the external. I've been googling but nothing seems to help.

To add to what Nick has already advised.... Microsoft has specifically designed Windows so that it will not boot from an external hard drive. Part of their anti-piracy scheme. However, there are work arounds and as Nick stated, do some googling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.