Win 10 on Second SSD

Reaction score
I have a 15" Mid-2012 MBP with an OptiBay kit and as such I have 2 internal drives.
I want to install Win 10 on the secondary drive, as a separate installation, accessible from the boot menu so Win 10 is not partitioned on my primary drive.
I came across this article
http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html?m=1
But I don't know how to complete all the more technical operations.
Any help, or a better more efficient method much appreciated.
Regards,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please do not cross post. One thread/topic please.

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just read thru the article and the instructions are fairly straight forward and should be easy to follow. However, if you are not feeling up to it, I suggest you get someone (friend, associate, etc) who may be more familiar with the procedures involved to assist you. For us to try to walk you thru something like that without looking over your shoulder just isn't practical.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry, posted from my phone unintentionally in the incorrect section, so posted in correct section. Please feel free to move/ delete/ edit post.

OP
D
Reaction score
I just read thru the article and the instructions are fairly straight forward and should be easy to follow. However, if you are not feeling up to it, I suggest you get someone (friend, associate, etc) who may be more familiar with the procedures involved to assist you. For us to try to walk you thru something like that without looking over your shoulder just isn't practical.

I posted the article just incase anyone knew of a better/ simpler solution than the one I was attempting to follow.

I've now managed to complete every other step sorted I'm just stuck on 1 step/ operation:

Windows AIK (free) running on your Virtual Machine or on your PC, or just the imagex.exe file (the rest of the Windows AIK package is not needed)
- Download imagex.exe
- Download Windows AIK (this download and installation is not required if you have already downloaded imagex.exe)

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe or equivalent from Windows 10 ADK or another source?

For reference I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7, with the Windows 10 ISO and ADK saved to it.
Install.esd file converted to install.wim
Virtual CloneDrive
I've also purchased a genuine Windows 10 Pro license.

Regards,

Reaction score
Hi I have got Windows 10 on external SSD using win2go but I noticed that they also do win2HDD the only thing I had to do was install VMware ( free ) put Windows on then install to SSD or in your case internal drive then deleted VMware of Mac boot into Windows install Apple for Windows drivers no need for bootcamp.
Just google win2HDD (free ).
Dell
PS just noticed you have a laptop running win 7 so no need to use VMware

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.